jujujojo_gw

Purple or blue - some kind of violet?

jujujojo_gw
11 years ago

{{gwi:201889}}

Comments (13)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Well it is certainly some kind of violet but I can't tell you which species. If no one here can id it the Name That Plant Forum will be able to.

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

May not be relevant here, but there is a physical difference between the way some women, on the one hand, and men and other women, on the other, perceive purple.

It's apparently due to some women having the addition of red colour receptors in the retinas of their eyes.

I certainly see more blue and less purple in our garden than my wife.

Looks like a violet.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

There are so many violets. And they cross-breed and cross again. Looks like a violet to me, just enjoy it for what it is and don't worry about its name, lol! Or go post on the violet forum, they may have an opinion over there.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

Yep, looks like a violet - a quite lovely one, too!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

Viola riviniana perhaps?

It is lovely- definitely a keeper imo ;-) Wish one of those would pop up in the lawn along with the ol' purples...
    CMK

• garden_crazy
    11 years ago

jjjj...
    That is so cute! I wish I could ID it because I would get some!-Be careful though violets are sometimes not as cute by the hundreds!
    gc

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

garden crazy z5 N IL,

People are here because this is our hobby. I am sharing a picture taken during my travel. There is no discussion or any plan to bring this violet into the United States.

On the other hand, to help with your job, you should post the list of violets that are considered invasive by the United States.

11 years ago

-jujujojo, whoa there. I highly doubt garden_crazy meant any harm in what he/she said- no need to jump down their throat. No one could exactly read your mind that this pic was taken elsewhere than in your own yard.

Besides, I hardly think you would be the first to introduce this plant to the States. :-)

Happy to oblige you: USDA list of viola invasive species status

Ps. If anyone is interested in obtaining this plant they may be able to find V. riviniana var. purpurea (aka V. riviniana 'Purpurea'/'Purpurea Group') pretty easily. Believe I have seen the "Steppables" brand carry it before. It has dark green, purple tinted foliage. I've got it myself, though somehow the flowers seem to stand out more against the green foliage...
    CMK

• garden_crazy
    11 years ago

christinmk
    Thanks. I was just admiring the stunning violet.
    gc

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

CMK christinmk z5b eastern WA,

Thank you for your id of the plant. I am still not sure if that is it. But thank you very much. PS, I and others followed your link and it read: no data found.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

garden_crazy z5 N IL, I am trying to be professional. I am friendly.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

jujujojo - you have to put a name into the search box and you will get the invasive species.

BTW - if you want a plant identified it is always helpful to say where and when it was seen - that can make a lot of difference. I also assumed this was from your own garden.

11 years ago

No need to be professional- if were all here because it's our hobby anyway :-)

If you type in "Viola" in the search box in the upper left hand corner of the link I provided in the previous post you should come up with a list them- scroll down a little ways.

I looked a little more and found other possible candidates. Assuming your violet was growing wild and was not found in the States, or North America for that matter, it may be:
    Viola
    canina- found in Europe
    hirta- found in Europe and Asia

Similar ones to yours found in North America: V. adunca, langsdorfii, & missouriensis.

If none of these fit the bill you may ask this question again over on the GardenWeb Violet Forum
    CMK