Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Glowing plants now on sale

aachenelf z5 Mpls
10 years ago

I came across this site in an obscure news article on Google News. I don't know how I feel about it and I know I won't be ordering anything, but it would be a conversation piece for sure.

I also wonder how far they will take this? Glowing trees?

If you click on the "Preorder" thing, you'll find the price and what they're offering. Looks like a rose will be available soon.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Glowing plants

Comments (19)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Wow, are they seriously saying we should use glowing plants instead of lights?! Their site says "Lighting creates as much CO2 as cars".... implying istead that we should all use genetically modified glowing plants to light up our lives.

Man, this just sucks. GM taken to another level, or at least another area of consumer consumption.

Let's hope the high prices will deter people from buying (i.e supporting and promoting) this. Of course, there is always someone who needs to be the first on his block to have the newest thing...

:(
    Dee

• eibren
    10 years ago

I wouldn't mind having a few small glowing plants along my driveway and front walkway. I use little solar lights now, but they don't always produce enough light.

The idea of having the only large glowing tree in the neighborhood, and attracting every mosquito on the block is less appealing, though.

Erk!

After actually seeing the sickly green on the linked webpage, I'm not as certain....

:o/

This could get as bad as tacky Christmas decorations...and last much longer.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

all that GM nonsense put aside .. and i will yell ...

THIS IS JUST SO STUPID... i want to puke ... lol

its making my hair hurt... and i dont have that much hair ...

i think my eyelashes are falling out ...

oh crikey .. its so stupid ...

ken

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now if they could modify all weeds to glow in the dark - think of the possibilities: Pulling weeds at 2 am when it's cool outside, not mistaking a weed for something valuable while you're weeding at 2 am, if you're lazy about pulling weeds, you'd have instant security lighting (and probably lots of it), etc. etc.

I just noticed, if you click on "Maker Kit" at the top of that web page, you can order the stuff to make your own plants. The kit even contains cool stuff like: DNA agro-bacterium and Arabidopsis seeds. What could go wrong?

K

This post was edited by aachenelf on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 19:03

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Off to FantasyLand again, eh, Kevin? The only answer to weeds is nuclear.

Q: What could go wrong?
    A: Can you say Preen, Round-up, et al?

Thanks for the chuckle, though. ;-)

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

Will these plants make seeds?
    What happens to the wildlife and birds that eat those seeds?
    Will we soon see glowing rodents scurrying around at night?
    Will birds drop glowing turds?
    Will the seeds dropped by the birds begin germinating wherever they land?
    How will this affect native plants and trees?
    .......Yeah, what could possibly go wrong????

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Will we soon see glowing rodents scurrying around at night?"

Oh I like that one! Just picture that in your mind for a minute...

Kevin

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

I'm picturing lots of streaks of light racing about, and a more concentrated glow underneath the bird feeders. Yikes! Spooky! .... but amusing to my indoor cats.

• User
    10 years ago

not for me.
    I am not opposed to scientific innovation.......many life-saving products have been created through what may appear to be inhumane, immoral and possibly insane experimenting on plants, animals, fellow humans............... But this is pointless marketing crap (despite the confident assertions of the 'usefulness' of this ridiculous item). Vacuous, moronic tripe, destined to be bought by those with too much money, too little sense (and possibly tiny little sexual appendages) - such early adoption and boasting usually goes hand-in-hand with insecurities.....of one sort or another.

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    10 years ago

Same group ... but this one caught my eye since the top photo is of a pitcher plant (sarracenia)... that they placed a nice glow light behind to 'simulate' the future. To bad it's too dark of a shot to show the jet packs on the two model's backs.... it would have been the perfect shot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glowing plant craze

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Agree with the above sentiments.

Suggested to come: trees that grow in the dark to replace street lights!!!

Just have to think of previous "miracle" commercial inventions, like leaded gas and CFC refrigerants in the 1920s.

And nothing has stopped the commercial application of over 80.000 new chemicals (almost all untested for health effects on human beings) , all invented since 1976.

• moliep
    10 years ago

Tacky R US (Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean that you SHOULD.)

Molie

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

I guess we can all just grow straight species and wait for something new to come along by chance, but I'm quite happy with many of my overblown overdoubled too-bright flowers.... but then I'm a child of the 80's and am all too familiar with the big hair world.

I can see me in my grumpy old age going out at night to weed out all the stray glowing grass that has spread into my lawn and tainted my peaceful non-glowing turf. My BIL would jump right on to this I'm sure and go on and on about his fancy grass.

Nighttime weddings would probably surge. A glowing bouquet and a flower lined aisle might actually look nice.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm still imagining a street lined with glowing trees. Somehow that visual is kind of appealing to me. That's assuming none of this glow stuff turns out to be deadly for some reasons not thought of yet.

Then again, maybe I have glowing creatures on the brain because I've been watching that new series 'The 100'. In the last episode there was a whole mess of glowing blue butterflies which were quite striking and lovely. Of course they were glowing blue because the whole earth had been poisoned by nuclear war, but that's just a minor detail. They were still very cool.

K

• TexasRanger10
    10 years ago

I found this glowing plant ad to be disturbing. I agree with mjc molie --- just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

This post was edited by TexasRanger10 on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 23:31

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

... and the technology is available to anyone willing to do a little research and spend some money. Maybe someone will engineer a giant venus fly trap, give it some glow in the dark, and call it an all natural home security system.

This bizarre GMO future is closer than you think. Roundup ready grass is on the horizon (grass is one of my worst weeds..... soon roundup won't even kill it) and for $5.99 you can go to your local smart petstore and pick up a glowing fish.... the result of jellyfish genes spliced in.

Here is a link that might be useful: flourescent fish

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hadn't heard of those fish, but they are really kind of beautiful. Cool.

One of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen was in Mexico, by the ocean, at night. The water was filled with bioluminescent creatures of some kind - I never did find out what. I was utterly transfixed by the sight of this ever changing wave of light moving through the water.

K

• paul_
    10 years ago

As a semi-dissenting voice, I can see apps for such plants provided:
    1) Such plants do not prove poisonous or otherwise hazardous to wildlife or people.
    2) The plants are not likely to become invasive weeds. (This would be one of the most difficult criteria to meet, I suspect.)
    3) That the lit emitted proves to be strong enough to be truly useful -- for example, bright enough to read by.

In many impoverished areas of the world, having light indoors at night is not possible or poses very real fire hazards. A glowing plant could prove useful.

As the world population continues its exorbitant increase, the reality is that other energy sources will become necessary. In impoverished regions, especially, it is unrealistic to assume that sources like solar power and such will be able to supply all the needed energy nor that those areas will be able to afford the technology. (And it is obvious that humanity does not have the intelligence to curb its own population growth.)

While I agree that just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done, I do want to say that the glowing Sarracenia would be sweet! Same for many other carnivorous plants. Think of all the nighttime pests they might catch. heh