Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vajeff

Cutting back lantana

vajeff
12 years ago

Our lantana is showing new growth 2 months early. Usually we prune it back to a couple inches from the ground, but this year there are fresh buds at least 1ft along the larger of last year's branches. The center of the stems further away are even green. We've never had a lantana do this before and I'm lost on what to do now.

Should I cut it back like usual, discarding the new growth? Or should I just shape it up and leave anything that's currently growing? I'm a bit afraid that if I leave it like it is and just trim all the dead stems off it will become enormous and more difficult to keep in check.

Comments (5)

• brit5467
    12 years ago

Hi Jeff -

First of all...wanna commend y'all for having it come back. I live in VA too and for some reason, other then my hanging baskets, it never has. Have tried it in the ground a couple times...???

I'm no expert & am sure others will know more. But I'll tell you what I know about mine. Go ahead and cut back to where you usually do since you want to keep them in check. Just make sure there's new growth left...like you're used to seeing.

All you're doing is 'topping it off' so to speak. In fact, it will get fuller since it will split off from the cut area. At least that's my experience in my baskets (which I have re-used the past couple years).

I'd say as long as you leave enough buds left, it will be a happy camper...and with the bizzare weather we've been having I would not wait to do so. Do it now.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

That's cool! Do you know which one it is? Mine are the ones with orange/yellow flowers. None of mine have any live branches. If the branches are sturdy, not floppy, and you have room for a HUGE shrub, it could be a fun novelty this year. If you can't devote a LOT of space to it, you certainly won't hurt it by trimming the old branches off.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

I would cut them back as you usually do. They look much better without the old growth which only makes them look ragged. Al

• vajeff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We don't do anything special to ours. We do let the leaves that pile up on it during winter stay until we're ready to rake in early spring. I suppose that might provide some protection from the cold. Also, our ground never seems to freeze. We have a bit of success with overwintering certain annuals because of that.

I believe the variety is "Miss Huff". It's mostly pink and yellow with a hint of orange. I'm not completely sure, but I think this is the same variety my mother grew for several years and it always came back. Another house near her has a lantana bush roughly 6ft tall, and it comes back every year. That's why I gave it a try, and sure enough it worked.

Our NOID creeping purple lantana have survived winter too. Both have green on them, but it looks more like growth from last year and not so much new growth. If they remained somewhat green all winter I would be excited!

We tried a yellow/orange type in a pot and it took too long to come back, so it was dug up and repotted to see what would happen... Needless to say, it did break dormancy just barely before it died from what I think was stress. The creeping red/orange variety ("Dallas Red"?) didn't survive in the ground last year. And it doesn't look like the creeping yellow variety survived this year.

I'd like to grow the "Miss Huff" as large as I can this year, but with all the plants from winter sowing that need a spot, I think I might have to keep it as small as possible!

Thank you for the help!

• bettyfb
    12 years ago

I love Lantana and so do the butterflies and I want to get this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info about