Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eigdeh

Muscari armeniacum Grape Hyacinth Invasive?

eigdeh
14 years ago

Howdy!

I was the a local nursery today and I saw a nice tray of Grape Hyacinth's and I asked the owner of the nursery if they are invasive and he said no. I asked the lady at the register as I was paying for them the same and she said no, they will slowly fill in and to plant them close to each other. I just did an internet search on care of them and the site stated to only plant them where you do not mind them spreading as they are quite invasive. :C(

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/flower/planting-and-care-of-grape-hyacinths.htm

Who should I believe? I want to plant them next to my daphodils as I like the color combo, but the daphodils are in the middle of a raised garden and I do not want the Grape Hyacinth's taking over the garden.

Thanks!

Ken

Here is a link that might be useful: gardening know how link

Comments (22)

• Nancy
    14 years ago

Maybe it depends on where you are. I started out with just a few, I now have hundreds all over the place. They reseed & multiply by bulbs, but boy are the lovely while in bloom.

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

There not to bad they will spread from seed and multiply as stated above underground. Although it takes some time, plus they will not choke anything out. If that is what you are worried about. They also bloom for quite some time compared to other Spring bulbs. Very hardy that is why I like them and pests seem not to like them also which is a plus+++

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

Not only do they spread quite aggressively, the foliage does not die back except for a brief period. They will choke out smaller perennials. The white muscari (can't remember the species) is the only muscari that behaves like other bulbs--foliage dies back until the following spring.

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I think the problem is that the blue muscaris look alike and some make lots of seeds and some don't. Mine doesn't make hardy any seed and so it multiplies, but doesn't seed anywhere. You can stop seeding if you get a type that does by cutting off the old blooms of course. I think people never get that done because they are small and it is spring with so much to do in the garden. But like I said not all types seed everywhere. Here's mine that I've had for a long time now along the front walk. There's a couple in the flower bed because of when I dug them a few years back.I realized they would be better as a line on the other side. I missed a few that I haven't got around to moving. See spring has too much to do, lol. Of course this year, I'm expanding and changing the whole thing again, lol.
    {{gwi:69931}}
    Remy

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

It probably depends on your climate and growing conditions. They are certainly spreaders in the UK. The foliage remains evergreen. The leaves get long and floppy and pretty tatty after the flowers are over and they sit in scruffy sodden clumps all winter. But in a colder area that might not be a problem. (Very pretty border, Remy)

• dorisl
    14 years ago

REMY! THAT is a GEORGOUS border!!

:)
    little bit of everything!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

They are very invasive in my yard. I have one clump that is a lighter blue that behaves but the most common ones are thugs here.

They are almost evergreen here and their foliage does smother smaller perennials though it doesn't hurt shrubs.

I've been waging war on them for ten years. They are in the lawn, and in every bed. I have pulled off all the foliage thinking that would slow them down and sprayed with Round Up and dug up clumps.

I wish I could get people to come dig them up and take them away....and they can have the lily of the valley too.

• ginnypenny
    14 years ago

Too bad Portland is sooooooo farway. I'd take you up on that. I love both of these plants....but have not only had no problem with them taking over, I have had NO LUCK in getting the grape hyacinth to grow!!! Don't know if the problem is the sandy soil, moles and/or gophers, heat or what. suggestions?

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I imagine that the different experiences that everyone is having must be due to the different regions, and perhaps I should trust the local nursery to know that they are not invasive or a bully for my area, but I am not going to take the chance. Perhaps I will find someone that would like to have these babies for free.

Ken

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

I planted 1,500 last fall. Wanted a river of blue on the back border to look at mid spring. So if it becomes a flood, I don't care! The worst that could happen is that they could get into the "lawn" Maybe they could win out over the wild onions. May the best bulb win!
    Marie

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi idabean,

I like the plant, which is why I bought it. I just don't think it will do well in the area where I was going to plant it. It might do well near my property end, but I don't want it to run into my neighbors yard.

I am sure it will look great in your yard.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I do love the color and when it has spread by seeding and the plants are spaced out I leave it alone but when it has spread by division and the clumps are very thick nothing else will grow there. The leaves get all clumpy and slimy and smother everything in reach.

Someone in Portland must want some, I've already given a bunch to friends and thrown a bunch in the yard debris bin. I just don't have the strength to get in there and dig it all out by myself....

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

I hope that's a damp west coast phenomena....Slimy...its a snail thing isn't it?

• brody
    14 years ago

Oddly enough, these plants die out within 2 or 3 years in my Northwest garden. They seem to be hit or miss, like lily of the valley. Hyacinthoides, on the other hand, are a nightmare. I would never recommend those to anyone for inclusion in a border.

• ginkgo_jenny
    14 years ago

In my flower bed, the daffodils spread more aggressively than the grape hyacinths. I'm a little disappointed in them actually. I had gotten them with the intention of them spreading quickly and helping to fill in a large flower bed. They've spread some, but not aggressively by any means. Maybe all the daffodils and tulips are crowding them? *shrugs*

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Are Hyacinthoides Bluebells? If so, I have those mothers too. Everywhere, in every bed. I've been waging war on them since we bought the house sixteen years ago.

I am to blame for the Lily of the Valley and the Grape Hyacinths, I planted both but the Bluebells were here before. The yard was all lawn but when we removed the sod to create beds they popped up by magic in every one. I thought they were pretty at first.....

• terrene
    14 years ago

Remy, pretty border! The muscari looks nice along the front edge.

Idabean, 1500 Muscari?? Wow, I would love to see a picture of that!

I've got clumps of Muscari and Hyacinthoides hispanica (spanish bluebells) here and there and they seem to expand a little but I wouldn't consider either one of them to be invasive.

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Sue,
    C'mon over! I didn't get all the bulbs you gave me last year in the ground, but the ones that got planted are beautiful. I wonder what else you gave me that is coming up?

Marie

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if the feather hyacinth (go to google and type in feather hyacinth if you're not sure what this is) is as "invasive" as the regular grape hyacinths?? I have a property up in Michigan and I would LOVE it if they could naturalize there.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    14 years ago

In my garden, the feather hyacinth (Muscari comosum 'plumosum') don't create seed - they appear to be sterile or near sterile, unlike the regular Muscari which set lots of seed. The feather hyacinth probably reproduce by offset bulbs, but that's easier for me to control. Since I haven't dug any to divide (and neither have the chipmunks & other digging critters) mine have stayed in the same spot for several years and haven't increased in clump size as fast as the daffodils.

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Well, I guess I can't really use them for naturalizing, but they'd still be nice to have.

Nhbabs, if you are willing to divide your feather hyacinth this year, could I possibly trade you for some offset bulbs??

Anyways, thanks for the advice.