Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf nepetas / catmints - have you tried them?

Posted by wendyb 5A/MA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 17:32

I just saw mention of a new (?) dwarf called 'Cat's Meow'. It is N. faassennii so I can hope that it is a smaller version of Walker's Low.

http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/nepeta/cats-meow-catmint-nepeta-faassenii

But I already had N. Little Trudy (tm) on my want list and I can't find the species name for that one. Apparently a cross, so I don't know just what to expect.

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/3469/little-trudy-catmint/

When they come with a (tm), they seem to also come with a big marketing budget, so it's hard to know the real deal!!

Does anyone grow either of these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf nepetas / catmints - have you tried them?

I have a tiny little N.mussinii which, owing to bad placing, is always in dire danger of death by trampling. As it does indeed get stepped on, and frequently overlooked, I can testify to its general toughness, if nothing else. In truth, it is a nice little thing and deserves better placing - will have to dig out one of the rampaging Nepeta x faassennii types which are overtaking my gravel beds.

o

I have grown 'Little Titch' since 2005 starting with one small plant and now have as an edger along my 75+' ft driveway. It grows 8 inches high. After bloom fades we mow it back for rebloom.

Perhaps you can find this older variety at a lower cost.

o

I tried a Walkers Low . Lasted two years. I don't think I mulched it after the second year. I really liked it. It's semi-small. I might give it another try.

o

I have Little Trudy here, and it got yellowed here in the spring when it started to grow before the soil was warm enough for the plant to be able to get any nutrition, and it survived that and greened up as it warmed. I'd say it is a nice one, grew well and spread out rather than up, so be prepared to divide it or give it room.

o

I have 'Cat's Meow' and I am lukewarm about it. Yes, I like the compact size, nice gray-green foliage, hardiness and re-bloom capability BUT the flower color is a washed out lavender blue. Very uninspiring. My other nepeta cultivars have much more vivid flower coloring.

o

There is a dwarf version of Walker's Low now, called Junior Walker. Anyone tried that? Is it really Walker's Low, color and flower power wise, but just smaller?

o

This weekend I just spotted Little Titch and scooped it up. It looks very promising! I hadn't seen any dwarf nepetas until now.

Some of the foliage in some of the containers was yellowing, but I would hope thats from container culture problems. I hope to get mine in the ground asap,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here