Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

dwarf nepetas / catmints - have you tried them?

WendyB 5A/MA
10 years ago

I just saw mention of a new (?) dwarf called 'Cat's Meow'. It is N. faassennii so I can hope that it is a smaller version of Walker's Low.

http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/nepeta/cats-meow-catmint-nepeta-faassenii

But I already had N. Little Trudy (tm) on my want list and I can't find the species name for that one. Apparently a cross, so I don't know just what to expect.

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/3469/little-trudy-catmint/

When they come with a (tm), they seem to also come with a big marketing budget, so it's hard to know the real deal!!

Does anyone grow either of these?

Comments (20)

• User
    10 years ago

I have a tiny little N.mussinii which, owing to bad placing, is always in dire danger of death by trampling. As it does indeed get stepped on, and frequently overlooked, I can testify to its general toughness, if nothing else. In truth, it is a nice little thing and deserves better placing - will have to dig out one of the rampaging Nepeta x faassennii types which are overtaking my gravel beds.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I have grown 'Little Titch' since 2005 starting with one small plant and now have as an edger along my 75+' ft driveway. It grows 8 inches high. After bloom fades we mow it back for rebloom.

Perhaps you can find this older variety at a lower cost.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

I have Little Trudy here, and it got yellowed here in the spring when it started to grow before the soil was warm enough for the plant to be able to get any nutrition, and it survived that and greened up as it warmed. I'd say it is a nice one, grew well and spread out rather than up, so be prepared to divide it or give it room.

• felisar (z5)
    10 years ago

I have 'Cat's Meow' and I am lukewarm about it. Yes, I like the compact size, nice gray-green foliage, hardiness and re-bloom capability BUT the flower color is a washed out lavender blue. Very uninspiring. My other nepeta cultivars have much more vivid flower coloring.

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

There is a dwarf version of Walker's Low now, called Junior Walker. Anyone tried that? Is it really Walker's Low, color and flower power wise, but just smaller?

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This weekend I just spotted Little Titch and scooped it up. It looks very promising! I hadn't seen any dwarf nepetas until now.

Some of the foliage in some of the containers was yellowing, but I would hope thats from container culture problems. I hope to get mine in the ground asap,

• vasue VA
    7 years ago

Any update on how these smaller catmints are faring over time? Picked up a few Cat's Meow yesterday & just now looking past the marketing material...

• aseedisapromise
    7 years ago

Little Trudy was a goner its second year, didn't recover from yellowing, so I guess things were too alkaline here for it. I have a Kit Kat that I bought last year, and it is in a different place and doing much better than Trudy. It is about a foot tall and spread about three feet since just last year. The bloom is okay, but not as abundant as Walker's Low. If the panicles are shorter to get the smaller plant, then there is just less bloom. I have Walker's Low, and it does great, but isn't small. It's about six feet wide and three feet high.

• kitasei
    7 years ago

Would be nice to know if the new varieties are as divisible as Walker's Low. I turned one plant into a very long hedge in one season, which makes the price of a single plant less critical.

• mnwsgal
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It took a couple of years to have enough plants of Little Titch to line my 75 ft driveway. Most of those were from self seeding though some were from divisions of the established plants. I started with one small plant.

• gardenfullofswallowtails
    5 years ago

I probably didn't have very good drainage at the time, so that was my mistake there.

• Seana Ames
    5 years ago

Any new experiences with dwarf catmint cultivars?

• zekeafroid (Z7 - South Jersey)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It seems like there is a new one coming out called Summer Magic which looks like it is the "super" version (no flopping habit, endless flowering, moderate size, hardiness, etc)...kind of like Phenomenal Lavender and Rozanne Geranium are to their species. Haven't see one in person yet though.

• Seana Ames
    5 years ago

Thanks for the information, . I'll look for it.

• garcanad
    5 years ago

Have 'Cat's Meow' and 'Kitten Around' for a couple of years. 'Kitten Around' seemed more compact but did not bloom as well. Have 'Cat’s Pajamas' on order this year; another compact variety.

• Kristen Tabor
    3 years ago

I looked through some varieties lists

Little Trudy - N. Psfike

General 10in H 16in W Lavender/Violet flowers

Little Titch - N. Racemosa

General 10in H 15in W Lavender/Violet flowers

Kit Kat - N. Faassinii

There seem to be both sterile and unsterile varieties out there of Kit Cat, but there seems to be some discrepancies in terms of flower color Lavender/Light Blue? General 15in H and 18in W the info on this one is a little weird as it's not standardized when searched. I also saw 8in H 15in W for it as well.

I'm trying to settle on a dwarf Nepeta Cultivar to pot outside in zone 9a (High Desert).

I'm thinking of getting the littles though Kit Kat seemed to be the smallest.

• felisar (z5)
    3 years ago

I would avoid Kit Kat. since in my experience confirms It is not sterile. Several years ago I planted it and the next year had seedlings everywhere. I removed and disposed of the the parent plant immediately

• Seana Ames
    3 years ago

I have Little Titch. I've been growing it for a little more than a year. No seedlings yet.

• mazerolm_3a
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I’ve had Little Trudy for 3 years and I love it!