Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Mammoth Mums - spring shopping...

Thanks to aachenelf for introducing us to these last fall! We called my favorite local garden center today and she's going to bring in the pink, red, and bronze ones for me. While we're a long way from being able to plant anything (!!), it is officially spring now so I needed to do something spring-like - i.e. some plant shopping...!

Comments (11)

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Woodyoak, can you say what gardening centre that is.

I read that Canning Perennials doesn't ship to Canada.

And is that in the fall?

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SB - Canning Perennials is in Canada but they stopped shipping a few years ago. You can pick up orders there (near Brantford) or visit the nursery - I used to order from them and I intend to visit (I keep saying that but never get around to it....!) because they're supposed to have a good display garden.

If you send me an e-mail through the 'my page' link, I'll give you the details on the garden center that is ordering them for me (for planting this spring). I'm sure she'd be happy to order a few more if she knows she has buyers for them...

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

I planted some last fall, they were available locally. Looking forward to them this season :0)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

I just completed an order yesterday and mailed it off! I'm looking forward to seeing how they do, although I have to admit it was hard committing to fall flowers while visions of spring blooms are filling my head!
    Frank

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I just wish this snow would disappear so I could see if my Coral Mammoth survived this winter. There's still a couple of feet of the stuff covering it which is probably a good thing since we're back in the cold ---- 8 F this morning.

I know I'm ordering the Red Mammoth and probably the Yellow Quill Mammoth although the ultimate height of that one (28-36 inches) gives me pause. However - somehow - for some reason - I'm sadly lacking in yellow mums, so I think I should get it. I also like the quill-types, so that's an additional incentive.

You can take a look at it at the link below, but this isn't the place I'll be ordering from. Why pay $10+ when I can get it for $2.50.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Mum

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kevin.

Lots of snow and ice on the flower beds here too. Our first view of snowdrops is likely to be 3 or 4 weeks later than our usual mid March.

I like yellow too. Such a cheerful colour and it also livens up the combinations of more traditional fall colours.

Odd that in terms of general colour preferences yellow is not usually stated as a favourite colour. Seems though that it may get more popular as people age.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

I love bright yellow mums - my favorite color in mums, hands-down.

I ended up with the pink (lavendar, actually) Mammoth mums only because of the few colors the nursery had, that one was the one I liked the most - but I actually don't particularly care for cooler colors in the fall, they somehow look out of place that time of year, I usually rip out my annuals in the back, the soft pinks, lavendars - those types of shades - get on my nerves come September. Oh well, I'm sure I'll enjoy the mums anyway, it's hard not to love a mum in its full glory even if the color choice isn't top of my list :0).

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I think - somewhere in the past - for unknown reasons - I fell victim to the notion that yellow was far too common and just "not cool". You know, it was such an obvious summer and fall color and everyone used it and there were so many more interesting things to do with color, so why bother with yellow.

Stupid, right?

But somehow I bought into that nonsense and stayed away from yellow as much as possible. And now I really don't have very much yellow.

But I like it. I like it lots. I don't especially care for the soft yellows or really golden yellow, but a nice lemon yellow when I see it really does it for me.

So now, I'm in the market for more yellow.

Kevin

• User
    10 years ago

I confess to disliking mums intensely ( although I would give the single early pyrethrum (or whatever it is now called - those pink or red things) some garden space. They tend to have negative connotations in the snob ridden world of UK horticulture (far too proley and working class - but that's not why I have an antipathy towards them (obvs). However, I recently chanced upon a pic of the most eye-popping mum I have ever seen, over in your part of the world(US). It was simultaneously grotesque, surreal, astonishing and fabulous (in the older mythic sense) - called the Thousand Bloom Full Moon Chrysanthemum and grown at Longwood Garden.
    Do check it out (sorry I am crap at links)....it is truly.....truly.......(insert hyperbole of choice).

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I love my mammoth mums. They need very little care, no pinching back, the only one that has not been robust for me has been 'Yellow Quill'. Last fall I moved divisions of several to line my very long driveway. Perhaps Yellow Quill will do better in this area.

The 1000 Bloom mum is all the adjectives you used, campanula. Definitely not a garden mum.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1000 bloom mum sideshow

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

Nope
    Not at all
    That has absolute zero appeal to me, but to each his own.

It's flower show stuff and I've stated my opinion of flower shows before. You couldn't drag me to another one of those.

Kevin