Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shiane_gw

montauk daisy

shiane
17 years ago

After blooming in the Fall I haven't done anything to my montauk daisies. Should I trim them back now? They do look ugly but are showing new leaf growth along the stems. I know I should cut them down about half on June 1 but what about now? And how short should they be cut down after blooming (like on Dec. 1)? Thanks!

Comments (23)

• hunt4carl
    17 years ago

Brutal pruning is the key, if you want bushy, not floppy, Nipponanthemum nipponicums (try rolling that new $50 name off your tongue in a hurry!). . .for years, I would cut them back by half, and by season's end they were 4-foot tall and sprawling all over their neighbors. . .

Then a friend showed me how to cut them way back in early
    Spring (leave them up over winter) to no more than six inches -yes, you'll be cutting off stems wth lots of little emerging leaves - not to worry, more (less leggy)
    will follow. Now, continue pinching off the tips of new
    stem growth whenever it is 3 inches to 5 inches long up
    until mid-July (it's the same regimen you use with all the members of the "former" chrysanthemum family). It's also
    a good idea to divide these plants about every three years
    because they can get really massive!

Carl

• shiane
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Carl, that was great. I will cut them back tomorrow!
    Shiane

• carrie630
    17 years ago

I have tons of them and I cut them back really hard in December and then not quite as hard in June but harder than regular mums. They really put on a display of beautiful daisies in the Fall, if you prune them right. Good luck

Carrie

• nails_2008
    15 years ago

Hi...I believe the rule of thumb is to divide fall blooming perennials in the spring.

• lagrangeny
    15 years ago

The nice lady from Jersey sent me this advice :

"...As for the Montauk Daisy (one of my favorite perennials) - I find mine do best when I follow the simple advice to cut them back by at least 1/2 twice a year: December 1 and June 1. If you want more Montauk Daisies, you will probably have great success rooting those June 1 cuttings - just stick them in pots of starting medium, set them in dappled shade, and keep moist until they've struck roots; at that point you can move them out to full sun. Keep them well watered their first summer, after which they'll be established well enough to thrive in a rather dry soil. They will probably bloom for you the first fall...."

I already hacked mine back (December 1 session) for 2008...will re-hack on/about June 1 of 2009...

....and I'll try to root the cuttings too !

Happy Thanksgiving !!!

LaGrange NY

• betsy1500
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Does anyone know if these will be appetizers for the deer?...I planted several on the property last Fall and was wondering if I need to start spraying them with deer repellant...Thanks for any help.
    Betsy

• gazania_gw
    15 years ago

Deer frequent my yard as do rabbits. Every year, the new tender foliage of the Montauk is nibbled back. I am not positive who is doing the munching, but it comes at a time when I would normally pinch it back anyway in an effort to keep the plant more compact and less likly to flop at full growth. I let the amimal do it's thing, then spray a repellant on the new growth a couple times till growth is mature. After that nothing seems to bother it. I am more inclined to pin the munching on young rabbits rather than deer.

• lynne_123
    14 years ago

I missed the window! I thought I was supposed to prune in July not June. Is it too late to prune my now 3' high Montauk Daisies?

• carrie630
    14 years ago

I would prune them, I think it is okay.... They are like mums, if there are no buds forming, I think they will be fine...

You have nothing to "lose" because they are fall blooming and will probably grow too tall and flop if you don't prune them down a bit right now.

Good luck - let us know

Carrie

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Thanks Carrie, and lynne. I forgot to cut mine back too. I just realized it this morning as I caught sight of them.

I will cut them back this afternoon.

:)
    Dee

• lotzmoore1292_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I'll have to remove my montauk daisy plant and transplant it. When is the best time to take it out of the ground and transplat?

• piamachi_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I'm thinking about starting with three plants in a seaside area with a fair amount of wind, not much rain[but lots of fog], intense Summer sun, sandy soil with rabbits and deer lurking in the wings. Any suggestions?

• Donna Doram
    8 years ago

Is it to early to cut back my daisies now, early March?

• wtciv28
    8 years ago

I live in the Seattle area (Zone 8). I would love to grow a MTK Daisy out here. Has anyone else tried one out West?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

Donna, where are you generally or what zone?

• ccmcc
    6 years ago

Is Mid July too late to cut back Montauk Daisies?

• cecily
    6 years ago

Yeah, definitely too late. I trim mine (and start cuttings) in April just as new growth begins. If you cut it now, you won't get many flowers and the woody parts won't fill in much this season. If your plant looks skanky and you can't stand it anymore, yank it out and plant a new one - Home Depot will have 'em in August.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

Where are you, ccmcc?

• ccmcc
    6 years ago

Connecticut at the Long Island shore

• Kathy Cooper Adamski
    6 years ago

I just planted montauk daises I live in SC they are starting to turn brown Can I cut them in half now?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

In your zone, I would be concerned that chopping them in half would encourage regrowth, and this is not the time of year you want plants putting out tender new growth. I would most likely take a pair of old style hedge pruners and deadhead in a few big whacks, and then wait until it is colder, or even early spring to prune back by half.

• Kathy Cooper Adamski
    6 years ago

Thank you

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner