Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerstar_gw

Rudbeckia fulgida var. Fulgida vs. Rudbeckia Goldrum

summerstar
12 years ago

Here's my question: I'm wondering if any of you have grown the Fulgida and the Goldstrum variety and would you tell me what you thought of the differences. I've wanted to purchase the Fulgida variety rather than Goldstrum because Fulgida suppose to be shorter and more compact and longer blooming. I sure would love to grow the plant if it's true, but I'd like to hear reviews from actual growers.

Now before some of you tell me that Fulgida IS a variety of Rudbeckia and that Goldstrum IS a fulgida and there is NO "Rudbeckia fulgida var. Fulgida", let me say that Bluestone Perennials shows Fulgida on page 62 of their 2012 Spring catalog along with Goldstrum and Dave's Garden says two other nursery sites carry it. I checked it out, and yes, there are two nurseries selling Fulgida. But is the plant shorter, more compact and longer blooming? I'd like to know.

I grew Goldstrum and found it's large leaves soak up so much sun in my Zone 7, full-sun garden that it wilted by noon every day. It was also well over 30 inches high and not at all compact. I DID love the flowers though. They draw your eye even from a distance. Thanks much.

Comments (5)