Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tassel flower seeds

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 18:18

I was looking through a box of old seeds today, and I found a packet that said "tassel flower" orange. I'm assuming this is emilia javanica with orange flowers? Anyways, I was wondering how long the seeds will be alright in the fridge? I can't remember when I got these seeds, but I'd like to try planting them this year. However, if they don't last more than 2 or 3 years, they most likely are no good by now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tassel flower seeds

Ah, but one thing is certain - they definitely won't be any use still in the seed packet. Go ahead, sow them - nothing to lose.

o

I Googled Tassel flower and the botanical name that came up was Emilia coccinea. Generally seeds remain viable for a short period of time--for many, not longer than two years. That said, you can sow them and hope for the best. As campanula suggested, they don't have the option of sprouting unless they're planted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tassel flower info

o

i agree with campy... whats to lose.. one pot.. and some media ...

whats the alternative.. throw them away??? .. i dont think so ...

or.. just sow them direct .... and then weed them all out.. when you forget what you did.. lol.. been there.. done that ...remembering in fall.. wondering what happened to them ... lol ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here