Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

I love wood Anemones...

Or Anemone nemorosa. They are just starting to poke up now. Amazingly enough, they are one of the few plants I have permanently emblazoned in my brain the location of, so I never step on them. Lol.

Anyone else have them and love em' too? Would enjoy seeing some pics of yours if you have any to share.

I must admit I enjoy ephemerals like these. So easy to stuff in-between the late risers. By the time they die down everything else has filled in around them. I'm thinking of getting some more someday- maybe a few doubles, 'Green Fingers Group', and that weird-o 'Virescens'.

Unknown medium blue
{{gwi:202476}}

'Bracteata Pleniflora'- ordered this from Joy Creek Nursery some years ago. It has lotus-like white flowers with interesting green streaking on bottom petals.
{{gwi:202478}}
CMK

Comments (21)

• molie
    11 years ago

Beautiful Anemone, CMK, but I'm thinking it may be hard to find here in the northeast.

Molie

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    11 years ago

No pics unfortunately, but I also LOVE these plants just as much as the equally glorious herbaceous fall anemones.

I grow 'Allenii', 'Robinsoniana' and the exquisite double white 'Vestal'. This spring I have on order from Far Reaches Farm some potted Anemone x lipsiensis, which is a pale yellow hybrid of A. nemorosa and A. ranunculoides.

Edelweiss Perennials sells a great selection of potted A. nemorosa cultivars, and planting them from potted starts is probably the best way to ensure success with them. Odyssey Bulbs offers generous damp-packed rhizomes of 'Robinsoniana' for fall delivery.

And speaking of the wonderful Odyssey Bulbs, I am excited to see they are offering tubers of Anemone blanda 'Enem' for fall delivery. Aside from the somewhat unfortunate name (actually named for a village near the Black Sea close to where this plant was found) this is supposed to be the most vigorous and bluest of the Anemone blanda types. Best part is, from a reliable supplier like Odyssey there is no danger of them being dried out and DOA like many of the Anemone blanda tubers shipped in from Holland every fall.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

-isphan, I agree! In fact, I think I may even prefer the early spring blooming Anemones to later flowering ones.

Well, you just listed three nurseries that it is DANGEROUS for me to look at online :-P Yeah, it was FRF I was thinking of ordering more from someday. That A. lipensis caught my eye too- please let me know how yours does in the future if it's not a bother! I love pale yellow flowers...

I bought a pack of A. blanda at Wal-Mart (of all places) several years back and also love them. Not bland in the least! Hopefully they do okay this year- some of mine don't seem to be coming up. Sigh, I think I may be cursed with bulbs.
    CMK

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention that Arrowhead Alpines also has a nice selection of Anemone nemorosa forms.

I know what you mean about DANGEROUS, lol! Especially Edelweiss Perennials and Odyssey Bulbs in my case. I can hardly ever browse their websites without adding things to my existing orders. I placed my first order with Far Reaches Farm last spring when searching for Hacquetia epipactis. They are first rate!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol. We must have the same taste in plants- I've been thinking about H. epipactis for ages, but have never taken the plunge and ordered one. Have you seen that killer variegated Hacquetia called 'Thor'?? I'm a sucker for anything variegated I guess.

I can't even look at OB without wanting to wipe out their entire Corydalis section...and here I thought I was "done" with that genus, lol.
    CMK

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

Two I've used the most are Anenome ranunculoides and A. nemorosa 'Robinsoniana'.

Both do very well, the former results in compact patches of yellow and the latter has a lovely pale lavender colour.

Not sure if it should be a problem, but the rhizomes can be disturbed and bits moved around by working the soil (in the interests of other perennial plants). Result: below.

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

So nice to have a perennial that does it's thing; provides flower colour (for me), last about six weeks and then disappears (e.g. ephemerals).

Not easy, however, to kind of coordinate it's colour with that of other spring perennials. Nice when chance lets it work.

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

Ah, very lovely, Sunny, and exactly the sort of thing I am hoping for now that I am moving from a small, open, sunny allotment, to a large and shady(ish) poplar wood.

Original Author
    11 years ago

-SunnyB, love that last picture! Like a tapestry of lovely colors...

Oooo....I must admit you kind of scared me off the ranunculoides by saying it spreads so easily! Lol. I know it's probably unreasonable to compare it to Campanula rampunculoides in that regard, but somehow in my mind I do!!
    CMK

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

Christinmk I don't know what to say.

Anenome ranunculoides is certainly not in the invasive league of the campanula you mention, or supposedly desirable campanulas such as C. punctata either.

I think I'll have stronger opinions about A. ranunculoides in maybe another five years, but have only been using it for about five years so far. I have definitely found it to be clump-forming, the clumps getting larger over time. As said, my problems is me disturbing the rhizomes and moving bits around when working the soil.

On the other hand, I do anticipate success in (manually) containing it, as needed.

• patty57
    9 years ago

Isaphan, How is your Anemone blanda "Enem" growing? Thinking about adding it to my garden and have had it on my wish list since reading your post above.

Patty

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Looking at these photos reminds me of plant I never had ID for. Is this also anemone?

TIA.
    Rina

• dbarron
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Apparently Oklahoma is not to the liking of either anemone nemorosa, blanda, or ranunculoides. I love this family and I've tried all of them multiple times, with no success. I did have one bloom once on a nemorosa, but it was a fluke!

I was able to console myself somewhat with anemone caroliniana, which naturally occurred on the property and looks like a slightly more rangy anemona blanda.

Image courtesy of Oklahoma Biosurvey, I couldn't find any of mine on the pc...strangely...I'm sure just bad organization on my part.

• magpiepix 5b/6a
    9 years ago

Would wood anemones work in a strip of gravel (with soil underneath, of course) on the north side of our house? It's shade, but bright shade-- the house just north of us is brick and reflects a lot of light.

I was thinking of trying bigroot geranium. Coral bells already do well there. Perhaps wood anemone would be a good addition?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

rina - your plant is not an Anemone. Looks more like a Geranium but not one I know.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

Yep, it looks a lot like g.'silver cloak ' an incana/robustus cross .....or Rambling Robin one of those very dissected leaf S.African geraniums.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

grief - it helps if I can get the spelling right....geranium incanum x robustum

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you floral & Campanula; I always thought it's geranium (the long flower stalks are divided like geranium, and the flowers look much more like geranium too)
    Rina

• magpiepix 5b/6a
    9 years ago

Anyone?

....Would wood anemones work in a strip of
    gravel (with soil underneath, of course) on the north side of our house?
    It's shade, but bright shade-- the house just north of us is brick and
    reflects a lot of light.

I was thinking of trying bigroot geranium. Coral bells already do well there. Perhaps wood anemone would be a good addition?

Original Author
    9 years ago

-mag, I don't know how the Anemones would feel about gravel. My experience is that they like a good soil that is loose and rich in organic matter. They are so shallowly rooted that I feel the layer of gravel would impede them on their slow bulking-up process.

I think the Geranium is a much better choice...a very tough and dependable plant.

CMK

• magpiepix 5b/6a
    9 years ago

Thanks! Maybe I'll clear the gravel in a few places and see if they'll fill a spot, then add geranium for the rest. I appreciate your advice!