Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

Please Identify this Plant

echinaceamaniac
12 years ago

Please identify the plant with the long, wavy blooms at the top. I like the way they look with the Echinaceas. It's the one between the Echinacea and the grasses. It could be some sort of Persicaria, but I'm not sure.

{{gwi:202692}}

Comments (19)

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Try to google pictures of Veronicastrum sibiricum . Some look identical to this one

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It looks a lot like it. I wonder if it could take our hot, humid summers. I really like the shape of it.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found a plant called Veronicastrum virginicum 'erica' that is native and looks a lot like it. I am going to order it. That plant looks exactly like what I need.

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    12 years ago

What is the white 'candleabra' type flower in the background? If the other is Veronicastrum, then it appears to be past flowering and what's seen is brown seed heads.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

The white plant looks like a Cimicifuga to me(possibly Brunette or other dark leaved one)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

I am going to order it. That plant looks exactly like what I 'need'.

===>>>

what a subjective word ...

you need another purple coneflower look alike.. like i need a another hole in my head ... rotflmbo ....

whats worse.. collecting plants.. or being a crack addict ... lol ...

all in good fun.. ken

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I want them for the contrast. LOL. They don't look alike at all. It is addictive though.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

I have posted my Erika in the link below(scroll more than halfway down). According to pictures and descriptions it was supposed to be pink. My plant was so light that it was closer to white. I would like to hear feed back from you and others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veronicastrum virginicum Erika

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wonder if they gave you the wrong plant. I've seen photos of it and even the stems and leaves had some darker tones. Your gardens are amazing. Either way...those are nice plants no matter what the color is.

• coolplantsguy
    12 years ago

It does not look like Veronicastrum to me.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    12 years ago

I agree with Wieslaw59 and Coolplantsguy that the plant in question does *not* look like a Veronicastrum. It looks like a shorter form of Cimicifuga/Actaea, especially with the burgundy foliage. Veronicastrum would typically be much taller than the pictured Echinacea.

In any case, what a beautiful photo! I would love it if my garden can look like that some day.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Are we all looking at the same plant? The one with the long brown flower 'wands' and green foliage right? The other in the background with the dark foliage and white spikes of flowers is definitely some type of purple/black leafed Actea, Bugbane.

I think I can detect some typical traits of Veronicastrum in the plant with brown seed heads...note the five leaves held opposite and a slight bit of side buds around the main flower 'wand'. The plants in the pic arn't as bulky and tight clump forming as what I normally see of Veronicastrum though.

Veronicastrum has been a bit hard to please here. It really didn't seem to do well planted in a hot, full sun, somewhat dry soil location. It has taken forever, but one of my Veronicastrums has gotten tolerably big. It is planted in a spot that is slightly shaded, farily moist soil, and superb drainage.

Here is a pic of it from a couple years ago, paired with 'Gardenview Scarlet' Monarda:
    {{gwi:202693}}

I'm pretty sure this is 'Erica'...I lost the tag of this one and my one other Veronicastrum ('Fascination', which I have yet to see bloom) so am not 100% sure. I think it is though since the foliage has a purply tint to it in spring and is more elongated, like the description given at Cotswold Garden.

Can't imagine any of that helped much, but there it is. Lol ;-)
    CMK

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll keep trying to find out exactly what plants they are. I love the way the textures and colors look. I just want something similar with wavy spikes on tall stems. It doesn't have to be the exact plant. I just want a similar look.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

This is Veronicastrum sibiricum which I consider identical to the plant in question. Veronicastrum sibiricum is a little more open than virginicum, especially when in old plant. The picture is not mine, I borrowed it from the Internet.

{{gwi:202694}}

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That looks so interesting. I think I like both of them.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

aw come on.. i think you NEED them both ... lol ...

ken

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I must have them! LOL.

• coolplantsguy
    12 years ago

Interesting... could be... must be... ;)

• gardenlogic
    11 years ago

without a shadow of a doubt this is Veronicastrum virginicum 'Fascination' ... Piet Oudolf uses it a lot ...

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert