Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what temp. is a *light frost*?

Posted by lefleur1 chgo.z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 20:21

I know 32 degrees is freezing...but at what temp. do we experience a *light* frost? The forecast is for 37 degrees tonight.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what temp. is a *light frost*?

Well, the frost itself only forms when the temp in the water droplets falls to 32 or below. But, a "light frost" can form with an average air temperature somewhere between 33 and about 37/38. Some surfaces radiate heat better than others, which is why you will get frost at times on elevated surfaces such as car windshields, blades of grass, roofs, or mulch when nothing else is frosty.

o

Bet you're freaking cuz of this cold front coming in. I'm in a much warmer zone (7b) and I'm concerned, too!! I have weather alerts that text me on my phone and got one tonight, warning about same sort of conditions...and I live in VA, on the east coast by Chesapeake Bay!!!

I AM bringing in all the new plants I JUST bought at KMart today...some annuals, some perennials. Too tender since they just came out of a greenhouse, I'm sure. Also my houseplants I just introduced to outdoors...just to be safe.

There's an earlier post about FREEZING tonight (or something to that effect) from people in your zone. Check it out if that's what your concern is.

Bonnie

o

A "light" frost is generally when temps remain above 28 degrees and last only a few hours. A hard or "killing" frost is when it gets below 29 or sub-freezing temps are prolonged (more than 24 hours). Plants are much better able to survive a light frost. Once you get below 28 degrees and beyond 6 hours below freezing, plants are much more susceptible to damage.

o
RE: above freezing frost

This link explains some of the confusion about why there can seemingly be frost at air temps above 32 degrees.

If you are only scheduled to have surface temps of 37, I would say it is unlikely that you see frost, especially if there is any sort of wind going on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frost

o

ahhhh

if garden could so simply be reduced to scientific certainties ....

IMHO .. there are too many variables to come to any answer with specificity ...

temp is not the only variable ... you must add .. cloud cover .. wind.. micro climate .. and elevation ... and suburbia ...

e.g. .. across my 500 foot wide lot.. which is 8 feet lower in the center 100 feet.. cold air pools as it move from high to low.. since warm air rises.. and many springs.. the forsythia/yoshino cherry ... down there do not bloom in bad years ... due to frost or freezes

so if the forecast is bad.. you have to either go zen.. ala doris day .... what will be will be ...

or you take action.. if you wish ....

but your decision can NOT be made on some precise forecasted temp ... NEVER FORGET ... mother nature is a cruel mistress ... and it brings her supreme delight to mess with our heads ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here