Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Luna Hibiscus/Hydrangea Little Lime Appearance

Posted by Barb63 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 20:33

These are the two things in my garden that show no signs of life! Any gardeners in zone 7 have these? Please tell me they are still alive. Coreopsis, bleeding hearts, viburnum Korean spice, dianthus all blooming:) Yay!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Luna Hibiscus/Hydrangea Little Lime Appearance

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 17:13

Hibiscus are late risers - up here in MI, there have been years I haven't seen any signs of life until beginning of June; usually by late May, though.

o

Wow, thank you. Didn't realize they were so late. I think I saw two little nubs on the hydrangea this morning. Everything is so goofy here this year. Most of the trees are all leafed out.

o

My red Lina just started this week. In zone 8b. Don't give up yet.

o

Not sure it this is good or bad news...but mine is growing fast. I was given what was told me, a Rose of Sharon also called Hibiscus that was trained (purned) into a tree. Was not nursery breed or bought this way.

Have had it (started out much smaller like a tall twig) for about 7 yrs and it always comes to life about now.

It's just now sprouting tiny leaves. Got no idea what kind it is. Has 3 to 4" blooms, sorta deep pink. Don't have pic of blooms....sorry.

But here's a couple pics I just took so you can see form of plant and current growth. It was dark, so pics aren't great.

I'm in 7B, in VA on coastline of Chesapeake Bay (near Va Beach/Williamsburg if that helps). Had unseasonably warm winter and now a cold snap coming thru.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 9:10

That's a nice looking Rose of Sharon :0)

This thread is referring to H. moscheutos, though - perennial hibiscus.

o

Uh oh. Once again, foot in mouth...lol. What's the difference, so I can learn.

It was given to me and I was told it was called both Rose of Sharron and/or Hibiscus?? It does get big deep pink blooms, about 3 to 4" diam.

Bonnie

o

Ohhh...also mxk3, meant to thank you for compliment :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here