Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

A recent gardening error?

In late summer 2011, I stupidly pruned our "Endless Summer" and "Blushing Bride" hydrangeas. So last year there were very few blooms. (The previous 2 years they were outstanding in terms of flower production). I know these hydrangeas are advertised as being able to bloom on new and old wood but it really does seem to me that the old wood is the key. I kick myself for losing 1 season (at least?) of those wonderful flowers. I have my fingers crossed that they will be back on track in terms of flowering this 2013 season.

Confession is good for the soul...so where have you erred in the garden?

Comments (14)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

Forgetting yet again where exactly I planted that Baptisia and yet again mangling it. :-* You would think I would learn my lesson after the first time wouldn't you??!
    CMK

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    11 years ago

Once, after waiting years for a Spigelia marilandica to bloom, I dug it up by mistake when it was dormant and threw it on the compost heap. Got a good one now, though it took me years to find one.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

this is why.. i dont do fall pruning ... lol ..

well.. actually.. when i moved to 5 acres.. full fall cleanup became old school ... lol

now by the following summer.. i simply prune off the ratty looking stuff ... IF i jsut happen to be walking by with the pruners ...

so .. on this logic.. i am NEVER ahead of the curve.. pruning things i shouldnt.. lol

ken

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is why.. i dont do fall pruning ...

Ken, I am embarrassed to say that it wasn't even the fall when I snipped those 'drangeas!

I am so antsy right now (mid March) that I find it is impossible to stay away from doing something in the garden...even though it is in the mid 20s with snow still on the ground. I went out yesterday and cut back one of my clematis.

Idle hands makes the devil's work :(.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 9:10

Original Author
    11 years ago

And do you really like your "Spigelia marilandica"?

Any pictures you could post?

I put two in the ground this past season and even in that short time I was very impressed with its unique flowers.

• ilovemyroses
    11 years ago

I have done all of the above. Probably my biggest error, other than overbuying, crowding, biting off more than I can chew, impulse purchases I have no place for, changing my mind years into a 'design'....oh, was that more than one??

Is....planting forgotten perennials, and pulling them out the next spring in my garden cleanup, forgetting what they were.

oh, yea, another, not writing names down of plants that do well, annuals, I guess....one I bought last year was so lovely. drought tolerant, bloomed forever with dainty pink and white blooms the bees loved. Wish I knew what it was (or where I planted it!!) Was it an annual, a biennial? a perennial?? did I take a picture of it?

(((and I am not telling the real dirt...the plants that die in the ghetto?))) :(

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    11 years ago

My biggest error was a few years ago, funny enough, thinking that a bed along the side of my house would have "good drainage" because it was on a pretty severe slope. I could never have been more wrong. Apparently, when you have clay soil (the bane of my existence), it doesn't matter if your land drains on a 90 degree angle, it still holds water! Lost almost everything in that area that I planted. Only things that survived was roses, lavender and bee balm (go figure). Got so upset, I actually threw in the trowel, so to speak, for a while. Of course, in doing that, bermuda grass (we have a fescue lawn, but apparently still have bermuda grass) completely took over another bed because of my toddler temper tantrum. Now, I am building a raised bed in the "bermuda grass bed". Always wanted a raised bed, anyway. I will win! Stupid clay soil.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    11 years ago

There are no errors - just experiments! :-) (E.g. trying to grow rhododendrons when you KNOW that, regardless of heavy pine needle litter, the soil is not acid enough and too dry.... After several years of struggle, I traded the failing rhodos to the next door neighbour for some of her Japanese Maple seedlings. Rhodos grow just fine for her and JMs do fine for me.)

• boday
    11 years ago

funnthsun

Got so upset, I actually threw in the trowel, so to speak, for a while.

--------------------
    Now that's clever - a pun, and an in joke, and all things sneaky and devious. I swooped right past it, something niggled and I had to go back.

I know a bunch of construction types, I'll try to sneak it by them - you'll be famous.

Author, author.

• boday
    11 years ago

funnthsun

Got so upset, I actually threw in the trowel, so to speak, for a while.

--------------------
    Now that's clever - a pun, and an in joke, and all things sneaky and devious. I swooped right past it, something niggled and I had to go back.

I know a bunch of construction types, I'll try to sneak it by them - you'll be famous.

Author, author.

• boday
    11 years ago

Does this count as a gardening error? Whadda ya mean there is no 'Edit' button? Mumble, grumble. "That was not earthy language. What are you, thought police?"

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    11 years ago

Re my Spigelia marilandica: I got the second one, the one I have now, from Seneca Hills Perennials, a sadly closed nursery. It has the rare chartreuse color inside the lipstick red, rather than yellow, and it's spectacular in full bloom,

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

I'm with woodyoak, what errors, there are only experiments! And hey I MEANT to dig out that plant, didn't do much anyway!

Original Author
    11 years ago

laceyvail wrote: It has the rare chartreuse color inside the lipstick red, rather than yellow, and it's spectacular in full bloom

I planted two of these Spigelia last May and although the one below is a bit 'scrawny', this being its first summer, they did give me a glimpse of their so unique flowers...awesome.