Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carex [japanese sedge] spring pruning????

Posted by grandma_gardener_02 zone 6, NE PA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 21:06

We let our carex hachioensis evergold variegated japanese sedge go last fall after they got to look like the"Thing"☺ However, spring is being "sprung" here and we are wondering how to prune it. Would appreciate any help. Don't want to do too much or too little. Also not sure of the timing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carex [japanese sedge] spring pruning????

Cares should be pruned in the winter to cut back the DEAD growth. The NEW growth emerges in the spring. if you did not prune it in the winter, just give it a "hair cut" Grasses are alot like us...with split ends. If it looks bad just cut it out!

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 5:40

I treat them like ornamental grasses - cut them down to the ground in late winter/early spring before new growth starts to emerge.

o

Thanks. Glad it's not a big deal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here