Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandma_gardener_02

ideas on blooming plant to complement coreopsis moonbeam??

Lauril Rohde
14 years ago

We have two narrow ground level planter beds around our patio. We have already planted some lavendar and moonbeam coreopsis, but want some perennial [not too tall]to complement and fill in middle spaces with perhaps a purple, pink, or white blossom. Last year we had tried some Kobold but it got about 4 feet tall [we have good soil] and looked ridiculous shooting up that tall among lower plants. We thought it would only get at most to 2 to 2 1/2 feet tall. And then I tried filling in with some evening primrose, not knowing that it is a "take over" plant. I plan on taking out as many primrose roots as I can this week while it is still cold. We had a very warm spell, but now weather is supposed to go back to winter temps - great time to do war on plants like thisâº. I know everybody is probably busy, but would appreciate any input.

Comments (18)

• boday
    14 years ago

Monarda "Petite Delight" - Lavender Pink or "Fireball" - Red. Salvia - May Night 20" or Veronica Royal Candles 18". Monarda and Veronica possible mildew depending on watering and air circulation.

Moonbeam literally goes with anything, great plant, just ahead of Creme Brule which is a little taller.

• DYH
    14 years ago

Verbena 'Homestead Purple' will make a nice "spill" over the edges of the planter.

Salvia 'Ultra Violet' (also deep purple) blooms all summer and stays short. Look at High Country Gardens for photos. http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/84799/

Cameron

• miclino
    14 years ago

What about Dwarf lilies? Would have to mix them in with some of the perennials mentioned above.

• kimcoco
    14 years ago

I have small daylilies in front of my Coreopsis Zagreb.

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

The purple flowers of Geranium 'Rozanne' would likely compliment the yellow flowers very nicely.

• Lauril Rohde
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great ideas everyone - will have to do some research and thinking now. Really appreciate all the input. Have a great day.

• arbo_retum
    14 years ago

salvia may night- deep purple blue

best,
    mindy

• kowalleka
    14 years ago

Always use May Night Saliva when I plant Moonbeam Coreopsis in my landscaping jobs. The dark purple of the salvia is just the right shade to complement the coreopsis.

• thisismelissa
    14 years ago

What about a dianthus?
    The blue-ish foliage might look kinda cool too!

• Lauril Rohde
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. Looked at ultra violet salvia and like that it attracts hummingbirds and repels rabbits. Also looked like the blue flame salvia is nice. Anyone have experience with this?

• Mary Leek
    14 years ago

I'm trying perennial snapdragon 'night & day' this year with my group of coreopsis. Don't yet know how well they will work but hoping for a good show.

As others have reported, you cannot go wrong with any of the purple or purple blue salvia's with Moonbean.

link to photo of 'night & day'

Mary

• scottyboipdx
    14 years ago

I've combined Moonbeam Coreopsis with "Purple Rain" salvia to nice effect...the deep purple and the bright yellow look great together. Geranium "Rozanne" would be great, as would Homestead Purple Verbena. Catmint would look lovely. Also, something with dark purple foliage would give you a really long-lasting combo. A purple sedum (Postman's Pride or Purple Emperor) would be nice and also be a great contrast in form and texture.

• prairiegirlz5
    13 years ago

Mary~How did the snaps work with your Moonbeam coreopsis? I love that yellow/burgundy/red color combo!

• cziga
    13 years ago

I have mine with some Salvia (as others have mentioned) but also with some various mid-height sedums ... Autumn Joy is one of them, don't remember the other off the top of my head. But I like the Sedum/Coreopsis combination!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    13 years ago

As soon as I read your question, I thought daylilies. I see a couple other people already suggested this but if you're doing this like a poll, here's another vote. Only problem with these is the VAST possibilities of colors and heights. You would really want to see the exact blooms of the particular plant to know for sure.

In general, though, I would go with a bold shade of whatever color I like to contrast the softness (pastel-ness?) of the lavender & moonbeam. I thought the dianthus suggestion was also a good one since the foliage is interesting even when it's not in flower and you probably look at these plants around your patio a lot. Many dianthus will also have that wonderful spicy carnation smell, too. I think it would bloom before the lavender and moonbeam, but confirm that with folks in your area before accepting it as fact. Daylilies would probably bloom around the same time?

• monarda_gw
    13 years ago

At a friend's house I once created by chance a combination of coreopsis moonbeam and variegated-leaved "corrie's gold" gaura (white flowered) near a red, fern-leaved Japanese maple. It was amazingly pretty, although I personally am not usually a great enthusiast for variegation or colored foliage in general. However, neither perennial plant persisted in that location, unfortunately. Maybe a mossy golden sedum such as "angelina" would also work -- with a small white or lemon daylily.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gardenfanatic2003
    13 years ago

I have Blue Hill salvia behind my Moonbeams. Love the blue and yellow combo!

Deanna

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    13 years ago

I would vote for May Night Saliva or Blue Hill Salvia. They start blooming a little earlier than Moon beam, but will rebloom again if you cut them down after the first bloom. I also like the idea of Sedum Autumn Joy or Fire. They would complement the yellow moon bean flowers well with their green flowers in the summer and pink to copper like flowers in the fall will be good complement to moon beam's green foliage,

Good luck,
    Vivian