Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_brown54_gw

Lupin 'Tutti Frutti'

laurie_brown
14 years ago

Has anyone here tried this lupin? If so, have you found it to be a plant that lives a number of years? It sounds very tempting, but I've had some bad luck with perennials that are first year blooming (when the normal species *isn't* a first year bloomer), finding some to be not very long lived. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    14 years ago

I haven't grown this specific type but in general lupins are not long lived plants. When I grew them they usually lasted a couple years at best.

• jebfarm
    14 years ago

I have grown L. Tutti Frutti for the last couple of years from seed and it will bloom the first year but it is the plants that overwinter and bloom the following spring that are SPECTACULAR. They can be easily four feet tall with many flowering stems - the vigor doesn't last in these plants and they should be replaced every year for the best display. They are so amazing it is worth it!
    Give lupin well drained, slightly acidic soil, lots of sun, elbow room to grow and feed them with a balanced garden fertilizer - a shot of blossom booster while they are budding makes a stronger showier plant.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

If you have the place for them, you can easily collect seed from them and sow a new batch.

• laurie_brown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, sounds like it's definately worth growing! And saving the seed, like prairiemoon2 says.

Lupins *are* weird. We've had a couple that lived for 5 years or more (Russel types), got huge, and then just never came back one year. We do have a problem with powdery mildew on them here. And 'well drained' is a VERY big problem here.

Since they are easy to save seeds from, I'll put them on my 'serious consideration' list.

Thanks!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Yes, they are very easy to collect seed from. The seed is a good size.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

I grow Tutti Frutti and have the same growing experience as jebfarm. Very beautiful the second year but gone the third. Al

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I thought lupines reseeded themselves. There are fields and fields of them growing wild on NZ's south island. Amazing.

• laurie_brown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They will reseed, especially the species types- there is a purple species that grows in the road ditches around here. But the fancy types don't always to it reliably, and you get much higher germination rates doing it under controlled conditions. And they grow where you want them to- lupins are kind of hard to dig and transplant- big root systems.

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Not trying to be discouraging, but if drainage is an issue, maybe lupines aren't the best perennial for you. Lupines need very well drained soil to do well, especially in winter. Also, they don't tolerate hot weather (like during summer) one bit. The best lupines I've seen are grown in the northeast and in the northwestern states (like colorado and wyoming). I'm trying a cultivar this year called "morello cherry". Supposedly it's more heat tolerant than other lupine cultivars, but I suppose only time will tell.

• BonniePNW
    14 years ago

Here in the PNW, I have great luck with my Lupine. I grow the Russell hybrids and the Tutti Frutti from seed and then when I have a color I like, I sprinkle the seeds in the beds. In the spring, I have lots of new tiny plants to dig up and transplant. The plants only last a few years but I always have new ones.
    They are really spectacular but do need care for aphids and mildew. Well worth the effort.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Sigh. I love them, but I don't think I'd be successful here-too hot in summer and too much shade in our yard. Oh well.

I still dream... {{gwi:203402}}From Drop Box

• davemichigan
    14 years ago

How long is the blooming period?

TIA!

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Gosh! I guess we can all start dreaming with our "Wish lists for 2012"

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting