Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fern-leaf peony

Posted by babera 5a (Montana) (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 0:10

I know there's a peony forum. . . which I will also post on. I'm just so thrilled I finally found one. They are usually sold out on line, IF I'm lucky enough to find a seller.

The owner of the nursery said it would probably bloom this year. It's a 2 year old plant so I'm hopeful.

He (the owner) wasn't real clear on planting it, other than he did say to place it on top of a crown (raised hump in the center of the hole) and he looked at me kind of funny when I asked him if they had eyes like the more common ones.

Does anyone have these? if so any advise on planting them would be helpful..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fern-leaf peony

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 10:53

Install it the same as any other peony - aim for plant depth in the hole so that the eyes, or buds are no more than 1 or 2 inches below the soil surface.

o

Bought my first fern-leaf peony ('Itoba') a week ago at Mori Nurseries in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

As per Morz, have planted it like any other peony, except for the location (in this case at the front of a border).

Mine has two buds, formerly presumably eyes, and (just from reading) it looks like flowering may be delayed a year because of the spring planting. Still it was half price.

Below, my inspiration to buy that plant. Picture: May 9, 2013 at the Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens (Canadian side). This plant is labelled as the species.

o

Mine will be blooming tomorrow, it was dug up at an old abandoned farmhouse in Gillette,Wy. I love it. I could probably share some if anyone wants some. Mine has a different leaf than the one in the pic above.

o

• Posted by babera 5a (Montana) (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 22:43

Well, the pot (1 gallon) that is in, was the one they wintered it in as well, so I guess I will just put it in the ground so it sets the same height as it is in the pot. There is new growth right at the soil line so I will use that as my guide. . .

Flowergirl, what a wonderful find. Chance are its probably quite old.

o

Hello. I,m just wondering what,s so special about those peonies? They are sold in our local garden center and go for $89.99....

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 15:11

I didn't like the one I had. The blooms were kind of ugly (they were small and a deep nondescript red), which I could have dealt with, but the foliage didn't do anything for me. I like ferny foliage, but this one just blended into the background and was super-blah. Maybe if I would have had a bigger plant (like the one in the pic above) it would have been a different story, but as it stands, I don't miss it one bit (has long been shovel-pruned).

o

"Hello. I,m just wondering what,s so special about those peonies? "

They have a fern-like leaf.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here