Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

No signs of Lantana yet :-(

lovetogrowflowers
10 years ago

I'm one of those worry warts. I put out two lantana 2 years ago and they both came back previous years. Here in Newnan our weather is such a mess right now, we dropped down to 33 yesterday, in April???

I'm seeing signs of my brugmansia, cleome, little four o' clocks popping their head up through the ground. Why no lantana? I followed previous years advice of not cutting back until spring. I mulched them. I think I may be just rushing it. It has no even come close to really warming up here and staying warm.

Anyone have any experience with lantana? I'm new to them, and was attracted to them right away. They constantly bloom, love the heat too it seems. And I actually did get lucky and both of mine always attracted butterflies. But now, I just have some dead stalks and not seeing any green and don't really know where to look for any sign of life. I've dug very carefully around them looking, I'm not digging far down, but sure would like to see some life.

I'm probably just worried that because we had some really really cold days, snow, ice etc... And we never have that, so now I'm thinking they're dead :-(

Any ideas? How long should I give it before I just give up on these and go buy more? I mean our highs are only like 70-75 right now. Lows sometimes still in the high 40's low 50's. Is it just not warm enough for lantana yet?

Comments (9)

• TexasRanger10
    10 years ago

It depends on the kind. If its the hardy types, they are probably fine. If they are those weeny hybrid things, you might have to buy new ones. Some of mine are showing signs of new growth, some are not, the native Texas ones are and so is the big bush one with solid gold flowers. I got a couple more but can't even remember what they are now that are also showing signs but just as many that aren't.

Last year, the low growing yellow ground cover kind didn't come around until later than this & their still asleep, I think they call them New Gold but mine weren't labeled so I'm guessing. We got down to 27 ridiculous degrees night before last after a 87 degree day. Poor plants don't know which end is up but the new green growth was still fine the next day. 27 degrees--in April no less, humph! We got colder than usual this winter too so hang in there a while.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Way too early here for Lantana to be up, it's one of the last to show and everything is late on top of that this year. Wait it out, there's still plenty of time for it to show.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

If you can, wait it out. I pulled mine...and there were some possibly healthy roots. I later found out they do come back in my area. Whoops. On the other hand, I now have a yellow one, so all is well. :) Yours may still come back.

• lovetogrowflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for responding everyone. I had actually forgot I had posted here. I shouldn't have though, cause I'm still wating on lantana to show. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Tim
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My Sonset lantanas came back this year. Yay! I plant mine on the south side of a structure. I mulch them with 2-3 inches of mulch, and I don't cut them back until I see new growth resprouting from the roots.

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

samnsarah: Congrats on your lantanas coming back! I pulled mine today. Just got tired of waiting on it. Yours are beautiful!

• User
    9 years ago

Mine come out at different times, the time depends on the type. I wouldn't dig them up this early. Just cut it back to the ground & clean out debris so you don't have to look at a mess of stuff around dead stems if thats the problem. You can always buy new ones but the bigger more established ones seem to me like they will survive next winter better. Some of mine sprouted from the stems, others from below ground and some are still not showing signs but probably will, one year the yellow ground cover kinds that are commonly sold here waited until mid May. Sorry I can't name mine, they are from several sources and Farmers Market just sells them labeled as 'hardy lantana'.

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

samnsarah: I love your sprout pics! How exciting! I knew the pic of the blooming ones was from last year, as I remember seeing it last year and admired them then too. :-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting