Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boday_gw

Phlox David Blooms

boday
12 years ago

Hi

Question for knowledgeable people.

Does Phlox David respond to cutting back portions of plants in May so as to delay flowering for a couple of weeks? Trying to get an extended bloom.

Comments (8)

• franeli
    12 years ago

I've done this in the past. The blooms are a lot smaller,not the large conical shaped ones you get on the unpruned stems.

• lepages
    12 years ago

Last year a deer came through my garden and pruned it for me. It recovered and bloomed beautifully. The blooms were smaller which I liked. The plants were sturdy and didn't require staking, another plus for me.

• nancyd
    12 years ago

The delay will be longer than a couple of weeks, so be prepared for that. A deer also did the pruning for me. I didn't notice that the blooms were that much smaller. It took about a month before the plant put out flowers again. I actually liked it. David bloomed later in the summer when most plants were waning. Last year was abnormal because of the early spring we had. Typically, phlox don't bloom up here until June at least.

• dfaustclancy
    12 years ago

The Well-Tended Perennial Garden by Tracy DiSabato Aust sez if you pinch ANY phlox twice before July 4, you will get double the amount of blooms AND the plant will be much bushier and you won't have to stake. Makes sense, no? I do it every year. Think about it.... Everywhere you pinch now, you now will get two stems, and when you pinch those you get two more.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Ditto what debra_boston does--pinch in late June to increase the number of blooms, control height and encourage a bushy form that doesn't require staking. I pinched 'David,' 'Laura,' 'Franz Schubert' & 'Blue Paradise' last year and the results were stunning. I love the blooms late in the season when many things are finished for the year.

• boday
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all

Okay, pinching is in. It's amazing what you can find out if you ask.

• arbo_retum
    12 years ago

that tracy again! genuflect genuflect. such a brilliant girl.deb, thanks so much for that reminder/primer.
    p.s. my David blooms wicked late. Aug. i think, Maybe i pruned em and didn't remember (THIS would not surprise me,sigh.)
    mindy

• franeli
    12 years ago

All of my photos show 'David' phlox blooming 8/10.
    Something I do now is prune out stems from the base of the plant,maybe that's why the blooms are so large.
    One year I pruned in layers like the photos in Di Sabasto's book.
    BTW, my plants are just breaking dormancy here in Z4. I find it funny that I'm already talking about pruning.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner