Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Siberian Blue Dianthus

Posted by gardenfanatic MO zone5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 0:40

I had these plants a few years ago. They did beautifully for a few years. Then I decided I wanted them in a different spot. So I moved them and they croaked. I'm not sure what the difference was between these two areas. Can anyone tell me what this plant's preferences are because I'd like to plant some more. Thanks,

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Siberian Blue Dianthus

I'm fairly certain you are referring to Dianthus amurensis, which is a great summer-flowering species, but is also relatively short-lived.

o
RE: Siberian Blue Dianthus

They enjoy full sun in well drained soil. They won't tolerate wet soil and especially in winter. I grow mine in mostly sun with late afternoon shade and in full sun and they both do well. If you deadhead they will bloom a lot longer. I also find their seed easy to collect and can be easily winter sown for fresh plants anytime you want them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dianthus Care

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here