Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Background for perrenial border

Posted by Johnny4917 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 0:48

I would like to establish a perrenial border along a fence bordering the west side of my yard. It's a 4 foot high hog wire fence seperating my property from a vacant lot. It's a sunny location getting over 7 hours of sunlight a day. I have several pots of red coral honeysuckle. I've thought about letting the honeysuckle cover the fence providing a backdrop for a 4 ft x 30 ft perrenial border going down the side of the fence within my yard. Do you think the honeysuckle would work as adequate back drop for the border or would it become a nightmare to maintain? I also have several varieties of Clematis that I could allow to grow on the fence, rather than plant the honeysuckle. Another option might to set some potted red and pink knock out roses in the background rather than try to maintain the honeysuckle. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Background for perrenial border

Both the honeysuckle and the roses will take up most of the 4 foot bed depth. That's a very narrow depth for a bed 30 ft long. Can you double the depth, at the very least?

o

there are two types of H ... the bush/shrub.. and the vine ..

the vine should do fine.. with some selective pruning thru the years.. to keep it on the fence. ...

i would NEVER plant a monoculture ... so put other things along the 30 feet ...

i like autumn clematis... but it can seed somewhat aggressively in some zones ... it doenst in my MI ...figure that out for yourself ...

i have that fence on my split rail... who knew it was called hog wire fence.. lol .. well.. apparently you and google knew...lol

if it were me.. i would.. given the space.. double the bed to 8 feet.. and leave at least 2 feet at the fence.. to walk back there and tend the garden from the other side ... at least you dont need that space to paint a wood fence .... otherwise .. figure out how you reach into a 4 foot deep bed ... presuming you dont have 4 foot monkey like arms .... w/o walking in your flower beds ...

ken

o

I like the idea of having the vines, either the clematis and/or the honeysuckle as a backdrop, but as others have said, they will need two or three feet added depth to the bed since they don't grow absolutely flat. Since your fence is only 4' high, the vines will reach the top and then spill over unless you train them to grow sideways or you have selected some of the shortest clematis. The spilling over will take depth as well.

I also like the looks of a deeper bed because you can have layers of plants allowing for something to be in bloom or have ornamental foliage for most of the season. In my beds, almost all of which are deeper than 4', I place stepping stones or some type of path in the middle of the bed where I can walk without compacting the soil around the plants when I do maintenance such as weeding or cutting plants back at season's end.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here