Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed that Resembles Perennial Geranium Leaf?

Posted by arbo_retum z5 ,WinchstrMA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 1:56

(sorry if i asked this last year; i can't find it in my notes)

we have a scalloped shiny green and darker green variegated-leaf weed that resembles a perennial geranium leaf as it creeps along horizontally, and has a carrot root. anyone know what it is?

thanks much,
mindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed that Resembles Perennial Geranium Leaf?

Sounds like wild geranium. Check the link.

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed Alert

o

Hi Mindy,
I'm betting the plant you're describing doesn't look like the wild geranium linked above. If yours is closer to the ground and really cemented in, I've had it and you better get rid of it fast. I just found two plants of it, and no idea where it came from. They are nowhere near where where I found it before.
I id'd once, and I'll figure where I found the information.and report back if I have any success.
I'm going to google "pernicious weed"

o
Ranunculous

I kept thinking 'ranunculous' but distrusted my memory. But the word showed up once in the google search, and By George, I got it. It may not be the plant in your garden, but it is the one masquerading as a geranium in mine.
The leaves are thicker, tougher. If you wait long enough it will get a small shiny buttercup flower.

o

bingo! and the lady gets the kewpie doll! ranunculus repens.
thanks much.

not half as horrible(nothing is)as aegopodium because its carrot roots are easy to remove, w/ the right pointed trowel or dandelion fork. But it certainly is aggressive,and boy is it confusing when it grows next to a real perennial geranium.

o

And it has an uncanny ability to get right next to the choice plant which nearly comes out with the weed when you point and shovel. Which leads to the question: did the weed come in with the plant? Likely

o

OUCH; i hope not one of ours.

o

Thanks, folks, for answering my unasked question. . .these little guys have been
popping up around the edges of my vegetable patch for a couple of years,
often right alongside clumps of Geranium 'Wargrave's Pink'. When I googled
Ranunculus repens, I was surprised to read that the seeds often travel with
hay - presumably, they like the same growing conditions - guess what I use as
a heavy mulch on my veggie patch? HAY !

Carl

o
carl

hmmm. how about seaweed this yr?or salt marsh hay?

mindy

o

I've got some Ranunculus repens in the yard I've been trying to get rid of and there is some that is spreading rampantly along the edge of a nearby field -

o

Sue, that is a lot of weed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here