Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

combining Lavender and Iris barbata-nana?

linaria_gw
9 years ago

Hi there,
I have reached a point, where almost every corner of my small allotment is used/ planted.

There is a small area though, around a young dwarf cherry tree, where I could add some low growing stuff.

I am ogleing cultivars of Lavandula angustifolia and thought of planting different sized ones just to see whether there is much of a difference in 3 years time.

And I always wanted to have a go at short Iris barbata. There is an alley tree in our street that has a clump of Irirs barbata growing at its base, living on neglect and dog pee for years.

So I wondered, If I combined those two how that could work. I would clipp the Lavender back in spring, and hoped that the Iris flower till it grows back. I thoght of 3-5 Lavender and a couple of Iris.

Soil is somewhat heavy, but quite good, on top of a low mound, full sun / dappled shade and rather dry in summer.

What do you reckon? Thanks, bye, Lin

Comments (6)

• aseedisapromise
    9 years ago

I have had iris and lavender together and they did fine. I didn't have them under a tree, though. I think the iris would be okay, not sure about the lavender. Well, a neighbor has some hidecote in part shade. I had tall beardeds, and I had to make sure they had enough room. Actually, over time, the lavender got pretty big too. So give them room to grow and it could work.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

I have never managed to grow the bearded iris in anything other than its own specific beds. They always irritated me when the flowers went over and keeping the rhizomes uncovered and sun-baked was more trouble than I could put up with. They all went a few years ago apart from a clump of whites which edge a gravel path. Not only the spent blooms but the foliage quickly looked ratty. Siberians, bulbous types and the lovely Algerian stylosa, no problem, but beardies are for true iris devotees,

Tell me more about your allotment, Lin. I was dimly aware that they existed in Europe. Are they measured in ancient rods (poles, perch)? How does the system work. They are diminishing like mad in the UK and we are fighting new laws which allow councils to sell them off at the drop of a hat.

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And just some tall Iris ( barbata- elatior I assume), in our street

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

update

and that`s what it looked like in year one, planted around May 2014, pic from September 2014. The stuff put on a growth spurt as we had a very wet August. So far I removed one Lavender plant as it was too crowded (OMG, such a surpise...) and am eagerly waiting for this years flower bulbs to start the season (mainly botanical tulips and NArcissus),

have a nice spring, bye, Lin

ps: and the cherry is a really small, narrow tree on a rather dwarfing rootstock

(ahem, about the alottment details: measured in Meters, rented out by the city, organized by a club per every "Kolonie", standard size about 200 square meter, and as long as you dont burn toxic waste, grow weeds only or pour concrete all over the place, you can rent is long term. In order to build more flats they sold same smaller areals at the outskirt of the city. A pity on one hand, but better than moving new houses in the middle of nowhere/ farm land)

• aseedisapromise
    8 years ago

This looks like a pleasant place to be! I await the spring bulbs as well!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm