Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
combining Lavender and Iris barbata-nana?

Posted by linaria 7 Switzerland (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 4:06

Hi there,
I have reached a point, where almost every corner of my small allotment is used/ planted.

There is a small area though, around a young dwarf cherry tree, where I could add some low growing stuff.

I am ogleing cultivars of Lavandula angustifolia and thought of planting different sized ones just to see whether there is much of a difference in 3 years time.

And I always wanted to have a go at short Iris barbata. There is an alley tree in our street that has a clump of Irirs barbata growing at its base, living on neglect and dog pee for years.

So I wondered, If I combined those two how that could work. I would clipp the Lavender back in spring, and hoped that the Iris flower till it grows back. I thoght of 3-5 Lavender and a couple of Iris.

Soil is somewhat heavy, but quite good, on top of a low mound, full sun / dappled shade and rather dry in summer.

What do you reckon? Thanks, bye, Lin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: combining Lavender and Iris barbata-nana?

I have had iris and lavender together and they did fine. I didn't have them under a tree, though. I think the iris would be okay, not sure about the lavender. Well, a neighbor has some hidecote in part shade. I had tall beardeds, and I had to make sure they had enough room. Actually, over time, the lavender got pretty big too. So give them room to grow and it could work.

o

I have never managed to grow the bearded iris in anything other than its own specific beds. They always irritated me when the flowers went over and keeping the rhizomes uncovered and sun-baked was more trouble than I could put up with. They all went a few years ago apart from a clump of whites which edge a gravel path. Not only the spent blooms but the foliage quickly looked ratty. Siberians, bulbous types and the lovely Algerian stylosa, no problem, but beardies are for true iris devotees,

Tell me more about your allotment, Lin. I was dimly aware that they existed in Europe. Are they measured in ancient rods (poles, perch)? How does the system work. They are diminishing like mad in the UK and we are fighting new laws which allow councils to sell them off at the drop of a hat.

o

Thanks aseedisapromise and Campanula,

Just today I sent my order to a nursery,
So now I combine the dwarf Iris with Aubrieta ( combo grows near here for years and looks great in early spring),
Add some Lalavender around it for flowers in summer and Aster pyrenaeus Lutetia for fall. Perhaps add Pulsatilla and Iberis later.

The bearded Iris do grow around here, must be a climate thing, right now they are cropping up everywhere, and actally I got a bucket full of tall Iris from a garden neighbour.

The tree gives little shade, most of the stuff gets full sun till early afternoon.
And I will see whether I need to adept the planting if the tree gets bigger in 3-5 years.

Will get back later with details on allotment,

Bye, good night, Lin

ps: my great garden help, clipping the Iris before planting

o

And just some tall Iris ( barbata- elatior I assume), in our street

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here