Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david883_gw

cutting back dead stuff on euphorbia (and a few others)

david883
10 years ago

This euphorbia (dulces chameleon) has been the source of many-a-question for me here but I like it so much I want to make sure I do everything right with this one!
I did not cut back the plant/stems/leaves last fall/winter (per the advise of several very helpful GW posters). Well, now I can see new life starting to spring up out of the plant. Not very big or anything just yet but its starting. So my question now is this.... should I cut back the dead foliage now? The weather here is still a little... lets say inconsistent... weather man predicts highs this week anywhere from 40 to 72 and lows from 25 to 50.... That's MI for ya. I'm afraid to cut the dead stuff back and expose the new growth - I don't want the cold/frost/snow/whatever-else-we-may-end-up-getting to damage the new stuff. Is that a rational concern or is it best to just hack of last year's twigs and let mother nature do her thing?

Same question applies to russian sage...

Any advise is always appreciated!

Thanks again

Comments (14)

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

I've had euphorbia (E. polychroma) in my garden more than 20 years & even transplanted it from one garden to another when I moved. In my experience the plant requires virtually nothing in terms of maintenance--zip, zero, nada. It has thrived & performed with no help from me whatsoever which makes it (by my definition) a maintenance/care-free perennial. I planted several purple 'Bonfire' plants recently but haven't had sufficient time to comment on their behavior.

I normally prune Russian sage back in the spring--cut the old stems back to about 4 inches altho' my perennials books say it isn't necessary.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

say hey dave ...

it doesnt matter what plant ...

just track down into the plant.. and look for the lowest buds you can find ... you might need another week or two ...

and then snip leaving only one or two buds ...

this is how i think of it..

do you want 50 buds up a one foot stick.. sharing all the energy the roots make for such..

or would you prefer to focus all the energy.. on two prime buds...

and as your experience grows.. you will find.. that two buds.. makes for a nice plant.. where as the former.. will tend to flop.. later in the season.. because of so much growth AT HEIGHT ....

i dont buy this.. fall or spring pruning/cleaning debate.. you do it.. when you have time ... either is fine.. and in nature.. its never done .. and things simply dont die ... its more about how ugly they get.. and when ...

have no fear.. just do it ...

oh.. and BTW.. if you have more than one.. do one each way.. and check back in 60 days.. and make your own observation ... thats the key to me actually remembering what to do... my own experiments ...

ken

• david883
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to you both! I have two euphorbias so I will experiment a little with them :) This is the first time I've see these plants (euphorbias) and I really like them... the cushion is bright greens and yellows and the chameleon, as its name suggests, went through several different colors. Very cool, in my opinion. Really interesting. I want to do right by them ha ha

We'll see what "spring" may bring... I'm sure Ken, being in MI, knows what I mean ha ha ha

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Euphorbias have a reputation for causing contact dermatitis in individuals sensitive to the sap.

• socks
    10 years ago

Big thank you to gardengal. I've been trying to figure out what to do with my first-time euphorbia which bloomed so beautifully this spring. Now I know to cut back the stems to the ground. They are drooping now, and I'll do it in a week or two.

{{gwi:203934}}

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    10 years ago

Gardengal --

I have two here. I, too, wasn't sure how to prune them back. I know one is Tiny Tim, and can't remember the name of the yellowish one. The yellow one already bloomed and for the moment, I've just pruned them at the end of the blooms and left the foliage. Yikes -- should I have not?

Purple, the sap flowing from this put my ficus to shame. I did get some on me though I had no reaction to it. It was hard to get off, though -- took about 3-4 hot water and soap washes and a lot of scrubbing.

Grace

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Grace - 'Tiny Tim' is an x martinii hybrid. Should be fully evergreen for you and so flower stalks get cut back to base when the flowers fade (or you can't stand them any more!). New growth emerges periodically and the little guy will continue to push flowers as well.

Not sure what the "yellow one" might be - 'Ascot Rainbow' perhaps? If so, same advice as above.....also an x martinii.

Euphorbia sap - actually a type of latex - can really gum up a set of pruners!! But it seems to come off OK with just soap and hot water. It has never bothered me personally and I had quite the collection of different euphorbias in my old garden. Euphorbs were one of my "collect every variety you can find" plants :-) I think the reactions to it vary widely from person to person.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    10 years ago

Thanks for all that info, gardengal! We should call you Euph-Queen! :-)
    I'll cut the other one down and wait for the two 'Tiny Tim' I have to finish its spectacular show before whomping them off too.

Grace

• Bonniezone9
    10 years ago

I planted both Euphorbia Ascot Rainbow and Euphorbia Blackbird early last spring and both (3 plants each) performed beautifully all spring and through the summer. I cut two of the Blackbirds close to the ground in late fall/early winter (they were leggy and looked terrible) and they haven't shown any new growth and my fear is that they may be dead? Should I have waited to cut them back until new basal growth emerged? Two of my Ascot Rainbows are leggy and do not show new growth at the base, so I am now paranoid to cut them back. Would love some advice! Thanks.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

advice: patience ...

its awful early.. to start worrying ...

i would have waited.. or cut back to a bud ...

i dont really know how you did yours.. w/o a pic

you would be better off.. starting your own post ..

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Both of those varieties are fully evergreen in your climate so you should see foliage and perhaps even some signs of new growth. My Ascot Rainbow is beginning to set flower buds......

Compared to AR, Blackbird has not been proven to be a very robust or stable plant. They often don't last more than a single season and many local wholesale growers have simply stopped growing them. Too bad, as that dark wine red foliage is pretty stunning. I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for that but the AR should come back strong. As in my previous post to this thread, these are best cut back to the ground - the old flowering stem that is - after the flowers fade in late spring/early summer. New growth from the base should be appearing by then and that should remain in place all through the season and into winter.

• mdsmith
    9 years ago

Okay, when do I cut these back, and how far back?

• mindg
    8 years ago

I have a Euphorbia Ascot Rainbow that I planted in the spring of 2014 and has done nicely however it's being crowded out by a taller perennial behind it and I was wondering if I can transplant it now in the early fall or wait until the spring. I'm in zone 6.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks