Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
to go with sedum ...

Posted by onthebrinck 6 Central New Jersey (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 7:19

I dug a flower bed into my (full sun) front lawn about 5' wide by 70-80' long just to add interest and to create a demarcation of a semi-private area between it and the house. I was careful to add larger shrubs (amalanchier,chlethera) and a tree (redbud) and some smaller evergreens with the intention that the spaces in between would be filled with perennial flowers. I am particularly fond of sedum (autumn joy mostly) so that now dominates. The rest is a hodge-podge of echinacea, gaillardia, black-eyed susans (for the wife). But it still is missing something --- something red or a deep color, something that's about 30" tall, something that expands/reseeds over time. I'm what you might call an 'opportunistic' garderner --- I plant stuff and see what survives and then encourage that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: to go with sedum ...

rose champion.. is hot pink.. with silver leaves .. reseeds. and tends to wander around ... and easy to manage ...

a pic would sure help us intuit ideas ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

• Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 8:45

I have red bee balm (monarda) that is about that height, maybe a bit taller. It definitely spreads, no doubt about that. It can tend to powdery mildew in some climates or when it's very dry, I believe. Mine has only mildewed once in three years. I cut it all down and the next year it came back, more than ever, and was fine.

o

I was going to suggest monarda as well, in particular 'Raspberry Wine' if you can find it. Beautiful flowers and supposedly more mildew resistant than most. Does spread to form a large clump rather quickly by its roots. My single plant last year didn't contract the PM, but it was in a pot most of the summer until August when it finally got put in the ground. Now it's about an 18 inch clump. We'll see how mildew resistant it is now that it's been in the ground.

Karen

o

Here's a Photo, still early in the season to see much

Front Lawn 2

o

Get some red Gaillardia. They will seed around nicely. They bloom such a very long time. The monarda is a good idea too since you can easily propagate it by ripping a piece out and sticking in the ground.

Also try 'Brakelights' Red Yucca. It is a new variety with red stems and flowers. I have it. It's easily propagated by division. I got one and made 3 out of it. It blooms all summer and hummingbirds love it.

Try some red hollyhocks too. They are easy from seeds and you can save seeds and plant more each year. Red Columbines would do the same.

o

• Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 20:36

Onthebrink, that's a nice bed. I like the variety and I bet it looks good in all seasons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here