Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

help id this perennial please

brit5467
11 years ago

They have a pallet of these at Kmart but all the tag says is "perennial." They are cheap and look so
healthy. That's a 5 of 6" pot.

Of course I can Google after you ID it, it but would love any growing info (height, bloom time if it
blooms, when to cut back, light requirements, etc.)

Thanks ALL !!
Bonnie

{{gwi:204101}}

Comments (5)

• casey1gw
    11 years ago

Looks like penstemon husker red- sun, regular soil

• growlove
    11 years ago

Other than to say it doesn't look like my penstemon "Husker Red", I don't recognise it as anything in my gardens.

• gyr_falcon
    11 years ago

Looks like Gaura lindheimeri to me. From the reddish foliage tone, most likely one with pink flowers.

• User
    11 years ago

going with gaura too - G. lindheimeri 'Siskyou Pink'?

• brit5467
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well....I dunno where my post went but I sent it before campanula had replied...???

Anyway, had said to Gry...when I saw it, it looked sooo familiar to me but couldn't figure out why. Now I know it's because I already have the G. Lindheimeri Indian Feather 'Pink Fountain'. But it didn't do well last year (neglect) so had forgotten what it looked like. And when I bought it in fall of '09, it was nearly dead and on clearance so I've only seen it healthy for 2 seasons.

But I didn't remember the foliage being that tall and lanky looking. Mine tends to mound more and then the flower 'stalk's get real tall.

Then I said to casey & growlove that I could also see why they both responded the way they did. When I found pics of foliage on the Husker Red on Dave's Garden, the leaves looked much fatter. EXCEPT for one pic, which looked identical to my pic (except plant was a bit more mature).

So I ended by saying I was still confused.....lol.

But now there's campanula's suggestion of the 'Siskyou Pink' so that's making me lean towards Guara now.

However, when I googled so I could compare the 'Siskyou Pink' to my 'Pink Fountain' to see the difference, I could not find any good pics of 'Pink Fountain' (the one I own now) but did find 'Siskyou Pink'.

However, many of those look identical to my 'Pink Fountain',which has pink blooms -- yet other pics have a much more vivid fuschia bloom. So THAT has confused me, too... since I cannot seem to find pics of MINE (the one already have) to do a comparison.

What I'm trying to say is, I know what mine looks like but can't find any decent pics of it - AND - I CAN find pics of the other one, but many of the pics look like mine.

And why does this matter and what does it have to do with ID'ing the original plant?

Well, nothing really...LOL. I guess I just want to figure out if what I have is really what I have (I still have the tag but we all know about how they can't always be trusted) so...if the mystery plant DOES turn out to be the 'Sysyou Pink', then I'll know it will look different than mine.

Does that makes sense...???

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida