Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant by my Ninebark Coppertina

Posted by hlollar 5 CO (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 9:33

Purchased a Coppertina last year (still hoping the little bugger isn't dead, but just late to come out) and I haven't seen the true color of the leaves yet. IF it is the color on all of the ads, what kind of perennials can I plant by it to bring out the beautiful copper color? I'm leaning towards more bronze and yellow, but again, have no idea what true color will be in the leaves. Any suggestions? Oh, and if people have bought this plant, how fast will it grow (so I know how far to plant things around it) Thanks in advance! I wasn't sure if I should post this in perennials or shrubs. Hee hee.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant by my Ninebark Coppertina

Here is a picture of one of my 'Coppertina's in it's second year. The deer pruned it a bit for me, so it should have been a little bigger than this. Also, I thought the same thing as you, that bronze and yellow would be good accents. However, I should have allowed more space for the mums. They are crowding the poor Ninebark.

Mums in bloom

Mine are just now starting to leaf out, and were even later their first year, so don't give up on it just yet. The leaves will green up a little in mid-summer, but when the weather starts to cool, their color goes more bronze/burgundy as you can see in the photo.

Some things I'm trying in that bed are Echinacea 'Harvest Moon', Geum 'Blazing Sunset', Alyssum 'Golden Queen', Daylily 'Stella de Oro', and Dianthus 'Ideal Select Red'. I think Euphorbia 'Bonfire' would look great there too, if I was willing to spend the money on it.

Hope this helps some!
Bonnie

o

Bonnie,
Thank you so much for the suggestions...and the pic. It gives me a good idea of the color I'm going to be dealing with. I can't imagine that it died, I planted it in the late summer, early fall but it's still not doing much. I believe my dog chewed a bit on it, that's my biggest concern. I love the idea of the euphorbia, and didn't even think about mums! Thanks!

o

I had a few more ideas for you. Asclepias tuberosa (Butterfly Weed)'Hello Yellow', which is a golden yellow version, Snapdragon 'Black Prince', which has bronze foliage and red/burgundy blooms, and Lychnis 'Lumina Bronzeleaf Red'.

There are several Achillea's that might work too, though they are a bit on the tall side. Here is a shot of my 'Terra Cotta':
Achillea 'Terra Cotta' with Blue Oat Grass
There's also several yellow ones, such as 'Moonshine' and 'Coronation Gold'.

Planning combinations is one of my favorite parts of gardening!

Bonnie

o

I have a 2yr old Coppertina.I have been thinking I might put blues near by.The idea being to use complimentary colors for the greatest contrast to make it stand out. Sliver blue foliage with warm color flowers would work too. Bonnie the "Terra Cotta" yarrow looks like a good choice. Thanks.

o

I was thinking of using Diabolo or Coppertina Ninebark in a linear foundation planting, and was going to use (down the line): "Fernspray Gold Compact" Hinoki Cypress, Weigela "Wine and Roses", Blue Spruce 'Hillside Dwarf', Tiger Eyes sumac, Diabolo(or Coppertina) ninebark. In front of the Ninebark and Sumac, I would plant "Moonbeam" Coreopsis, with "Walkers Low" Nepeta in front of the Weigela/Sumac combo. If I had to pick one plant to go with yours, it would be the Tiger Eyes sumac shrub. The season long colors are beautiful and the fall show is amazing.

o

I recently bought a Diablo Ninebark--still in a pot, planning to put it off to the side and rear of a shorter Dwarf Blue Arctic Willow in my foundation scheme--I figure the contrast of solid purply foliage behind a veil of wispy blue foliage would look nice, but my Diablo hasn't really leafed out yet, so I'm still making up my mind on that combo.

o

These suggestions are wonderful! I love the Tiger Eyes Sumac, it's planted in my front lawn. I haven't had any problems with spreading (in it's third year) but I sure wish it would grow a little faster.

The wonderful thing about planting is you can always move things if you don't like how it turns out.

Good news! I see some growth at the bottom, so it's not dead. It hasn't started to leaf out on top, though. We'll see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here