Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting Gentian Acaulis (need help in instruction)

Posted by davemichigan z 5/6 (SE Michigan) (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 9:35

I bought this seed packet when I traveled for work last year, but I don't know the languages. Could any of you recognize the language(s)? If I know the language I can use online translation.

TIA!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting Gentian Acaulis (need help in instruction)

The second section is French; first likely German.

o

Yup, first is German - third might be Italian?

o

Thanks all! I bought the packet in Switzerland, so the first one might be Swiss German indeed.

o

The first is German. Do you need a translation? I think it says to sow 4-6 weeks before the last frost.

o

I tried some online translator, and I think I got this:

cold treat for 4-6 weeks at 0 to 5C, then bring to germination at 18C, then transplant at 12cm distance.

I am starting this a little too late, but oh well, nothing to lose, so I am going to give it a try.

o

Good luck! You will need it. Gentiana germination is on the tricky side. I've had good luck with gibberellic acid treatments to break the dormancy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here