Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vinca minor groundcover - should I put down Preen at planting?

Posted by sysdawg none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 9:58

I am planning to have part of a slope planted with vinca minor (currently there are junipers but they have not had enough sun and have done badly so will be ripped out). As I understand it vinca minor spreads by rooting where the spreading stems touch ground, so we'll probably use only half an inch to an inch of mulch. That leads to my concern about weeds until the vinca is fully spread. Does it make sense to put down Preen before the mulch, or would that also inhibit the spread of the vinca minor?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vinca minor groundcover - should I put down Preen at planting

I'd be inclined to put down cardboard or several layers of damp newspaper, followed by 2-3" of mulch and then plant the vinca through that by cutting an X and sinking the vinca into the soil, based on my experience with vinca. Mine roots a bit too well through anything - mulch over cardboard, lawn, other plants. By the time the vinca is wanting to root, it won't have any problem rooting well into and through the mulch. Light-based weeds will have a tough time growing up through the mulch and cardboard, but many won't be discouraged by only an inch of mulch IME.

o

i would go deeper with the mulch ... and forget the preen

it will take a year or two for the vinca to get going ...

and it is just as likely to go under/through.. as rooting from the top ...

and preen has a rather short active life span anyway ...

my gut tells me spend extra on mulch.. and save the money on preen.. its not a panacea ...

watering young transplants on a hill.. is going to be very important.. and rather hard .... and that is where i suspect your major issue will be ...

ken

o

If it's any consolation, I don't think anything can inhibit the spread of periwinkle short of a concrete ditch & a flamethrower

o

LOL freiki !! I have to agree with you there. It's so very hardy. I have areas of my yard that it grows wild but it creeps up into other areas. I swear I've grabbed ahold of one 'vine' and started pulling it out of the ground and it can end up being 6 ft long...!!! So it's a tough cooking, thriving most anywhere.

And I agree with nhbabs' method. Tho I've never tried the newspaper method, I know it works (from others who have) and agree that by the time the vinca wants to root, the newpaper will have deterioated. And it shouldn't have a problem growing down thru even deep mulch.

And Ken's right about watering the new transplants.

o

It will take years for Vinca to grow so thickly that it covers the ground well enough to suppress other weeds, if ever. The nodes are quite far apart. Don't know what you plan to use for mulch, but Vinca is quite comfortable, vigorous, easily spreading around in several inches of oak leaves (which DO suppress weeds.)

o

anywhere I start a new flower bed, I cover the grass with a thick layer of newspapers,cut through the paper to plant the perennials, and cover with a mulch of bark. Works great though occasionally a few sprigs of grass will creep through, but easily pulled. newspaper disappears, but helps hold moisture for a time.

o

I had a beautiful patch of vinca grown over a number of years. Last year, it all disappeared after winter. Replanted in spring and this year, once again, it died. Any idea what kills vinca?

o

Too cold there?

I pulled it all up from my Mom's yard, I kill Vinca, but I haven't been to your house.

Growlove, that's how I always start a new bed! If you wait until the grass is definitely dead to pierce the smother, you'll have less grass in the planting holes, if that's why it's there. It's hard to wait, isn't it? Could just be from seeds dropped there already, previous years or earlier that year. Mowing with the chute facing away from beds helps too, as well as a border, like bricks, landscape timbers, something easy to trim against or drive mower tires along. If no new seeds are dropped and it can't creep in from lawn, grass won't reappear in beds, except the very occasional sprout. Pull as soon as you see it the first time, while easy to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here