Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heuchera (Coral Bells) ... The New Ones? Your Thoughts?

Posted by jmcbackyarddigger z6b So IL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 11:15

I live in the "Lower Midwest"/"Upper South" and our summers can be very dry at times. And they can be very hot and humid.

I have really taken a liking to the "Amber Waves" heuchera that I planted about three years ago. It is really beautiful this spring.

I have noted there are lots of other heucheras with very colorful leaves such as "Georgia Peach," "Southern Comfort," and many others.

Any recommendations of this type (where the leaves win out over the flowers) that you would recommend for the weather conditions that I have given above.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heuchera (Coral Bells) ... The New Ones? Your Thoughts?

The two you mentioned are good for your climate. I have both for 3 years.

To make a nice colorful display I added some yellows and purples. They are gorgeous together and do not need flowers with that much color.

I love Berry Smoothy I brought it last year liked it so much I just brought another.

Heuchera, Berry Smoothie
Photobucket

o

I have others I love but they may be Heucherellas. Sweet Tea and Autumn Leaves are the ones that come to mind. Another good one is Electric Lime.

o

Caramel, Melting Fire, Dark Secret, Silver Scrolls, Prince are my colored ones that come to mind and are all evergreen here. My greens are Bressingham and Angel Snow, also evergreen here. I love them all and they do fantastic here in full sun.
Cher

o

A few pictures of some of my favorites.

Berry Smoothie
Berry Smoothie 4-17-12

Sugar Plum
Sugar Plum 4-17-12

Southern Comfort
Southern Comfort 4-17-12

Heucherella Brass Lanterns
Brass Lanterns 4-17-12

Heucherella Gunsmoke
Gunsmoke 4-17-12

Heucherella Sweet Tea
Sweet Tea 4-17-12

Seems to me good soil with lack of root competition plus some sun seems to do the trick for these plants, but mostly the soil. Below a link to more photos of my other heuchera plants. Some I have yet to take pictures of, they are on the recovery of a bad wet winter or animal damage, but are trying to grow back. I'll take photos of them when they're more photogenic.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: My Heuchera Album

o

Some great pics, there. Thanks folks. These things are beautiful.

o

I agree, loved looking at them since this seems to be a kind of plant I can kill faster than anyone, and have done so to every one I've had. Haven't bothered with any since moving south. Obviously I don't understand them. Are they for shade or sun? Moist or dry?

Tepelus, your purple "sugar plum" made me WOL! (Say "wow" out loud!) If I see that plant around I will have to kill buy one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here