Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small plants starting off 2nd Year

Posted by magz88 5a - Central Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 12 at 11:19

I haven't been able to find the answer to this doing searches.

I have lots of perennials that I started last year and they are of varying sizes this spring.

My question is:

Will the small ones catch up and bloom as nicely as those plants that are currently larger?

Will they catch up if I fertilize them?

Thanks for any insight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small plants starting off 2nd Year

if you think of flowering.. as sexual maturity ...

and maturity .... as a function of root mass .. enabling a plant to put out the flowers ...

then all one can say .. is that they will achieve maximum flowering .. when they are fully 'established' ...

and how all that works with your babes .. in your garden .. well .. you can only wait and see ...

all that said ... and w/o knowing what plants we are talking about .. i suppose we could say .. generally ... that they should start performing this year ... all other things being proper.. like water.. sun.. soil.. mulch.. etc ...

now .. will fertilizer quicken maturity ... i doubt it ... feeding the kids vitamins .. isnt going to speed the maturity process .. its genetic ...

but then some vitamins .. arent going to hurt .. and a little of this or that fertilizer .. should not hurt either ... but i doubt it will quicken the process ...

in other words.. its not a food issue .... its a maturity issue ...

hows that for insight ..

ken

o

• Posted by magz88 5a - Central Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 2, 12 at 13:17

OK thanks Ken, so it sounds like they will bloom this year but it may be later on. My puny foxglove bloomed last year but it wasn't as flashy as the bigger ones.

The ones I am potting for sale are columbines and foxgloves (biennial but 2nd year).

I will pot up some of the bigger ones as well and maybe that will stagger their bloom times.

I have painted daisy, canterbury bells (another biennial 2nd year) and verbascum that I have grown for cut flowers.

o

well if they flowered late last year.. though puny.. one would think.. they should be all set to go for it this season ...

and probably for sure on the true biennials ...

ken

o

So many factors that goes into play when you play something. As an example, stuff I planted the first year died because I planted them in the wrong spot. Generally, the plants are in the right place, their roots will grow and they will be bigger next year. The best example of this is the butterfly weed and woodland poppy that I planted. Both were tiny and didn't even flower the first year. The second year, the leaves and the plants were larger. If they are not coming back bigger, there may be an issue (root competition, soil defficiency, etc).

Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here