Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Delosperma evergreen?

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 11:49

Last year a Delosperma seedling of unknown origin appeared in my garden and grew nicely through the summer. When I was out looking around the other day, I found it and it is not looking good - totally dried up and very dead looking. But maybe that's what they're suppose to do in my climate - I don't know.

Keep in mind we have not had an ounce of warmth yet. Nothing - I mean NOTHING is starting to grow yet, so could there still be some hope for this little thing? I don't grow any other Delosperma, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Delosperma evergreen?

It does look dead during the winter. When it gets warm, what looks like little succulent fingers grow out of the nodes. Sometimes I cut it back but most of the time I don't and it still covers itself with flowers.

o

Kevin, I got caught up with last year's trendy delosperma "Fire Spinner". I planted probably 4 or 5 of these plants. They spread well but nary a flower. And looking today each of these "Fire Spinners" have faded to mostly nothing. I am thinking they have left this world; to much wet and cold. But then again with this spring being so much behind what I have seen in the past I just hope I am being a bit premature in pronouncing a 'death sentence'. So to make a long story even longer I am hoping that these plants are not evergreen!

o

Thanks. That's helpful.

I was doing some searching on the topic, but most of the comments seemed to come from warmer climates where it appears these are at least somewhat evergreen. I'll keep hoping, but my-oh-my this thing really looks dead.

This little plant was going to be my test plant. If it survived the winter I'll explore getting more.

Kevin

o

I have just one Delosperma that has survived more than one winter. It hasn't looked dead to me in the spring, though it does look a bit tan and discouraged, but we generally have good snow cover that keeps it from getting that freezer burned look. The one I killed prior to this was in a rock wall and so above the snow for much of the winter. It was a crispy, dried out looking set of twiggy looking dead leaves and stems and it did not recover.

o

They all stay evergreen here. In your zone you may have to protect them some in winter.

o

In Denver it isn't evergreen. I just walked past my neighbor's big patch and it's all crispy looking. They have both purple and yellow planted together and it puts on a nice show in the summer.

o

• Posted by alicate SW Michigan, zone 5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 13:21

I found here in Michigan (5b) they do not overwinter very well at all. I even considered digging mine up and bringing them indoors but with the kids, dogs, school and other things, that fell very low on my priority list.

o

Again I know it is still early but with the snow finally gone in this area of the garden this "Fire Spinner" is looking not so good. This is just 1 of 4 but all look similarly. I was hoping to finally see some of those very cool flowers but if none of these plants survive I will not replace them with more of the same.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 22:41

o

In spite of the cold, late spring, I am surprised to see signs of life from many different types of perennials, including late risers like Japanese anemones and Geranium 'Rozanne'.

The three Delosperma 'Fire Spinner' I planted last summer still look exactly like rouge21's photo above. As far as I can tell, they are dead, D-E-D (lol).

o

Fire Spinner stayed green all winter here. I think it even grew some. The roots are huge!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here