Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Perennial is Growing out of this Rock?

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 19 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 11:49

We purchased the house in January, and I thought this was just a weed. Now it has leafed out, and has these clusters of beautiful lavender flowers here and there.

I can't get a closer shot because it's high on a rock. I had to stand on the edge of our road to snap the photo.

I'd love to somehow lop off some cuttings and try to propagate it to put in a better place.

It gets no water. Can you ID it?

Thanks!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Perennial is Growing out of this Rock?

gather seed.. once you ID ...

down near the bottom.. can you get a leaf cluster.. in focus???

and to clarify.. it gets whatever water it needs.. why do you suggest it gets no water???? .. and should you get a piece started.. it might not like highly amended soil that retains a lot of water ... its 'showing' you what it can deal with.. dont make presumptions otherwise ...

ken

o

I'll try again. The hardest thing is it's high on the rock, and I have to stand on the road to take a shot.

I can't climb up and reach it to get any seeds.

There is an irrigation system on the hill, but not anywhere near the rock. This is growing in the heat of southern California. It must be a perennial or tree because it was dormant in January when we bought the property, and now it has leafed out.

The name your plant forum thinks the flower is not related to the shrub, but growing out of a different crack in the rock.

Suzi

o

I agree with the name that plant forum because I think the flower is some sort of verbena (not being familiar with US natives, I hesitate to offer a specific species type). Am very clueless what the other plant might be.

o

Name that plant forum has ID'd it as common name: Desert Willow. I believe that's what it is. I googled it, and it has lovely pink flowers with long pods. There are 2 such trees across the road, so it probably grew from a seed.

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here