Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Centaura: Perennial Bachelor Button

Posted by redsox Z6 KY (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 12:00

Has anybody grown this before? Is it a garden thug or stays put?

Will it tolerate clay, alkaline soil? Please tell me about it if you have grown it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Centaura: Perennial Bachelor Button

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 12:07

Stays put for me - a slow growing clump. I have it in full sun with my gaillardias.

o

I swapped seeds for seeds of this and not one has come up for me. I guess I'll plant some more and try again.

It's a beautiful plant from pictures. I heard they don't like the heat in the south, but I still want to try and grow them.

o

Centauria montana? It's one of those fairly short lived perennials that seeds around a bit.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 15:53

Centaurea montana - (aka Mountain bluet, perennial cornflower) but I think we're talking about the same plant.

Pretty blue, clump forming, tolerates acidic clay here, as well as winter wet, also handles dry conditions once established.

Downside in my garden....mildew, and if not supported by other plants or stakes, clump will part down the middle and fall to each side later in the season then requiring cutting back hard. Self sows.

o

I have the same experience as morz8. It gets unattractive after blooming but if cut back it resprouts and looks better.

It is sort of a thug in my zone 6 garden.

o

I agree that the foliage can sometimes get mildew and flop after blooming, but the simplest way to get rid of that is to cut it back. Mine rebloom some after doing so. Mine do reseed, but not too bad. I wouldn't worry about that though, since they do not reseed in ever situation and are super easy to pluck out.

I think it is an under-estimated plant. It has wonderful flowers and doesn't require much care. I say plant it!
CMK

o

YMMV is theme, I think.

Mine was gorgeous year 1. About 3' tall, and covered in 'catalog' blooms.
Year 2 was shorter, and fewer blooms.
Year 3 I think it was MIA. I was sad.

I winter sowed a new batch of it this year, and also got a dealbata (same thing only pink) in a fall plant swap. I'm excited to see new growth on it already. I'll definitely be looking for a new Montana, though. I really liked it, as did the paper wasps (they mind their business if you don't bother them).

o

I have had a clump for four or five years. It has grown steadily, although not aggressively. I think I divided it once. It's in morning sun, shade from 2 pm on. (I am in zone 5. Grown in clay soil, albeit with a nice 4" layer of compost on top. I have found it to be a great plant. Doesn't flop, no mildew, reblooms a bit if deadheaded. No reseeding issue, although I have deadheaded it. I love it. I also have centaurea dealbata which has a bright pink flower.

o

Very mixed reviews! Maybe I will just try one.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 15:42

I think you should : ) I got a little piece from a friend a 3 years ago, and it has slowly increased. Here it is in my front walk border last spring.
Photobucket
So in a couple years it has made a nice small clump.
Remy

o

Is this plant an early riser or late rise? I have a small piece in one of my beds and don't remember. I do like it and wish I had more so I may start some from seed as I never see it in nurseries.

o

Can anyone explain YMMV?

I was given a small clump of this by a friend about 10 years ago. It is in part sun, and has done fine: no spreading, no seeding, no disease. I wouldn't mind if it had gotten a bit bigger.

o

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

o

I love mine but you definitely want to cut back to basal foliage after bloom. They come back with nice neat foliage and sporadic blooms for the rest of the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here