Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsox_gw

Centaura: Perennial Bachelor Button

redsox_gw
15 years ago

Has anybody grown this before? Is it a garden thug or stays put?

Will it tolerate clay, alkaline soil? Please tell me about it if you have grown it.

Comments (14)

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Stays put for me - a slow growing clump. I have it in full sun with my gaillardias.

• echinaceamaniac
    15 years ago

I swapped seeds for seeds of this and not one has come up for me. I guess I'll plant some more and try again.

It's a beautiful plant from pictures. I heard they don't like the heat in the south, but I still want to try and grow them.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Centauria montana? It's one of those fairly short lived perennials that seeds around a bit.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    15 years ago

Centaurea montana - (aka Mountain bluet, perennial cornflower) but I think we're talking about the same plant.

Pretty blue, clump forming, tolerates acidic clay here, as well as winter wet, also handles dry conditions once established.

Downside in my garden....mildew, and if not supported by other plants or stakes, clump will part down the middle and fall to each side later in the season then requiring cutting back hard. Self sows.

• blueheron
    15 years ago

I have the same experience as morz8. It gets unattractive after blooming but if cut back it resprouts and looks better.

It is sort of a thug in my zone 6 garden.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    15 years ago

I agree that the foliage can sometimes get mildew and flop after blooming, but the simplest way to get rid of that is to cut it back. Mine rebloom some after doing so. Mine do reseed, but not too bad. I wouldn't worry about that though, since they do not reseed in ever situation and are super easy to pluck out.

I think it is an under-estimated plant. It has wonderful flowers and doesn't require much care. I say plant it!
    CMK

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

YMMV is theme, I think.

Mine was gorgeous year 1. About 3' tall, and covered in 'catalog' blooms.
    Year 2 was shorter, and fewer blooms.
    Year 3 I think it was MIA. I was sad.

I winter sowed a new batch of it this year, and also got a dealbata (same thing only pink) in a fall plant swap. I'm excited to see new growth on it already. I'll definitely be looking for a new Montana, though. I really liked it, as did the paper wasps (they mind their business if you don't bother them).

• belfastmom
    15 years ago

I have had a clump for four or five years. It has grown steadily, although not aggressively. I think I divided it once. It's in morning sun, shade from 2 pm on. (I am in zone 5. Grown in clay soil, albeit with a nice 4" layer of compost on top. I have found it to be a great plant. Doesn't flop, no mildew, reblooms a bit if deadheaded. No reseeding issue, although I have deadheaded it. I love it. I also have centaurea dealbata which has a bright pink flower.

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very mixed reviews! Maybe I will just try one.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

I think you should : ) I got a little piece from a friend a 3 years ago, and it has slowly increased. Here it is in my front walk border last spring.
    {{gwi:205703}}
    So in a couple years it has made a nice small clump.
    Remy

• woodyswife
    15 years ago

Is this plant an early riser or late rise? I have a small piece in one of my beds and don't remember. I do like it and wish I had more so I may start some from seed as I never see it in nurseries.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    15 years ago

Can anyone explain YMMV?

I was given a small clump of this by a friend about 10 years ago. It is in part sun, and has done fine: no spreading, no seeding, no disease. I wouldn't mind if it had gotten a bit bigger.

• magnoliaroad
    15 years ago

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

• gfult
    15 years ago

I love mine but you definitely want to cut back to basal foliage after bloom. They come back with nice neat foliage and sporadic blooms for the rest of the summer.