Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What am I?

Posted by gardenmama613 4a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 12:19

Hi there..I am clearing out my gardens getting them ready for spring planting wyen its time. Last year I had some Lilies that didn't return for the first time in like 7 years, and grass has grown over where they were a bit. I started digging it up and shaking out dirt, and some of the things pictured fell out of the roots of the grass. I started checking each clump that I dug up and there are tons of them. Any idea what they are? They don't move, but just look very strange and bug like...thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What am I?

They look like a rhizome of some sort of plant. My first thought was Iris cristata or maybe Bloodroot, but I'm not sure. Both of these grow right at surface level.

Kevin

o

Could it be a Lily of the valley rhizome? They weren't in this garden, yet, but have spread to others....

o

its awful early.. to be thinking lily didnt return in z4 ..

crikey.. in z5 MI.;. the soil is still very cold down just a few inches ... and i planted my lily bulbs at least 6 inches down ... so they are going to be late w/o a doubt ...

of course.. you dont define what kind of lily ... you are talking about ... so i might be comparing apples and oranges ...

ken

o

Oh it was last year they didn't return..I kept waiting and hoping but alas, they never showed. I didn't touch the area in hopes they were just very late. I am replanting with new bulbs as well as established Lilies. They were Asiatics. We had a vole in the back yard, I suppose he could have eaten the bulbs. I was surprised, as they have always looked happy and healthy! Haven't found any of the bulbs, I've dug down looking for them. Its as if they vanished.

o

One of my first priorities when I moved to this property was to eliminate lily of the valley. It was everywhere and not wanted except for a small patch I left in memory of my mother. Eradicating it involved digging down more than a foot into the soil and cutting the roots--which were more than an inch thick--with pruning shears.

Since it was growing pretty much everywhere, the effort took several weeks. I don't recall seeing anything over the course of that time that even came close to the photo posted above.

o

Could your bulbs be violets?

o

Violets are my guess, too.

o

If not violets, perhaps oxalis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here