Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaw_cincy

Do you rescue plants?

lindaw_cincy
10 years ago

Seems I cannot stop myself from rescuing plants that have been neglected at big box stores. The garden employees do not even water the plants. So sad.

Comments (12)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

Not unless I have room for them.

Oh wait. What a liar I am. The other day I picked up two Hellebores (not beat up much at all) from the sale rack at Lowes even though I don't have space for them. So let me rephrase...I don't pick up sale plants unless I really like/want them. Years ago I might have felt a slight twinge to take home and nurse all big box store victims, but not now.

Being a red blooded American woman I do love a good sale though. Sales on plants delight my very soul...
    CMK

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

Can't say I'm into the store rescue thing, but what about plants in neglected gardens? I realize there are tons or legal and other issues here, but if you have access to a neglected garden?

Both of my parents passed in the last 6 months, so now my sister and I have a house and property to deal with. When spring finally arrives here (it just has to - some day), I already have a list of the perennials I have to remove from their terribly neglected garden before we sell the house.

There's a huge stand of Hibiscus, very old and very hardy (zone 3)
    Some unknown pink phlox that bloomed its head off all last summer in the blazing heat and terrible drought
    Other iris, allium, maybe some peonies? Maybe some of the spring bulbs if we still have the house come fall?

I just can't contemplate the thought of leaving all these plants knowing full well the next owner will probably rip 'em all out anyway.

Kevin

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

-Kevin, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It is wonderful you and your sister are going to be able to rescue a few plants for remembrance.

I'd just like to comment...I've moved spring blooming bulbs after they are done flowering (sometimes even during bloom) and they have done okay. Just plant them at the same depth and leave the foliage on.
    CMK

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

LOL!! I work in a nursery - you bet I rescue plants!

We have a fairly generous guarantee policy and so plants that get returned for some non-pathogenic reason (usually insufficient watering, if truth be told) are free for the taking. I've gotten some great plants over the years via this method, including a pretty extensive collection of clematis in my old garden as the result of the "dreaded clematis wilt". Plus, sometimes plants just never measure up to retail sale quality and are then heavily discounted for sale to employees.

Since I garden on a much smaller site now and primarily in containers I tend to be not as aggressive in acquiring rescue plants but I am still a sucker for a clematis in distress :-)

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

I LOVE the clearance rack at Lowes. The majority of my plants come from there. I go in there a few times a week and get many perennials for $1. I would say at least 80% come back. Considering I generally only pay $1 for them, it is a great deal. I do annuals, too. I have gotten much better at telling which ones will come back. One of my favorites was a hibiscus last year for $1. I have two for 50 cents each this year. :)

• buyorsell888
    10 years ago

Sometimes I rescue plants, depends if it is going to be a bargain on a plant I want. Not because I feel sorry for them. Having worked in horticulture/floral for over twenty years, I'm pretty jaded....

Keep in mind that the employees at many Big Box stores are not paid to water. They often are not allowed to take care of the plants. They are not hired for plant experience either.

The stores have contracts with the nurseries that grow the plants to come in and display them and water them and cull them.

There are also companies that merchandise plants at big box stores that don't actually grow plants themselves. They just run crews that unload trucks and tidy them up a bit and water.

Not all the plants and not all stores but I know that the employees are often given a hard time about plant care when they personally have no say in the matter and some would even get into trouble for stopping to water or groom a plant.

I interviewed with three of these companies who grow for big box stores earlier this year but decided the positions were too much manual labor and not enough use of plant knowledge for me.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Absolutely - I always make a beeline for the reduced shelf at the garden centre. This Hebe 'Nicola's Blush' was a sickly little twig when I bought it. All it needed was a good big pot and some fresh growing medium. I also get cut price lily bulbs late in the planting season. But I never bother with ratty annuals. Only perennials or shrubs which can be revived.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Often, depending on what it is, what looks like is wrong with it - no bugs! If the price is right, I love to watch plants recover if it looks like they can. After years of doing it, you get to know what's worthwhile, what's not. Rescue Clematis, bulbs, veggie plants, short-lived herbs, most early-spring bloomers in general are some I rarely even consider.

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

Oh lord, gardengal, I would LOVE to work at a nursery...plus one that allowed me to take returned plants. I get it's not all smelling roses and stuff, lol, but still....sigh...

I don't buy sickly plants, even if it's a simple lack of water issue. Somehow I never find much reduced here-for $1, I'd be all in though. I will post wanted for free ads on craigslsit occasionally and get some in serious need of help that way. I'll also grab those left on the curb when someone is splitting (that's happened a few times to me), as well as answer free plant ads. This is really only my second year building my gardens at my new house, and I never had the place to focus on gardens at my old house, so I'm all about more plants. When I'm done I'll have 4 beds and the smallest is 10'x4' with the largest probably about 25'x9' or so, plus several hedgerows that I'll want to fill in around and below. Needless to say, since I'm not making huge money and have a small budget, I'm all for rescuing freebies-my time doesn't cost me $$ and it fills more bare space in the beds!

• thrills
    10 years ago

Oooo that hebe is gorgeous. Good find there.

I need to not buy any more plants. Not start any more seeds. Not divide any more perennials. My yard needs a serious over haul due to water issues and general lack of walkable surfaces. I do not need any more plants to take care of in the mean while.

Maybe I'll just take a peek at the clearance racks.....

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

Power, you sound like me! Lol

• Karchita
    10 years ago

In general, no. I am running a garden here, not a plant hospital. :)

However, I will admit that I have picked up a few forlorn plantlets from the bargain rack at the local big box store, but only (formerly) expensive plants that have only cosmetic issues.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner