Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Height of chamaecyparis Vintage Gold?

I know I should ask on the shrub forum but I don't usually post there and I'm shy. I did do a search over there, and didn't find much info - except one old post containing an answer by Ken, who I am hoping will elaborate and possibly repost the photos that are no longer on that thread.

I'm seeing descriptions of anywhere from 3 feet tall to 8-10 feet tall for this one. Three feet would be perfect, and I can maybe do up to five feet, but I don't want to bother with any major pruning for height if its much taller than that.

Anyone with long-term experience to help me out with the varying height descriptions?

Thanks!

Dee

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

but I don't want to bother with any major pruning for height if its much taller than that.

And your little tree will not benefit from that sort of pruning either.....pruning to maintain a specific height is never an ideal reason to prune :-)

'Vintage Gold' is considered a dwarf conifer but the only distinction between a dwarf and a standard sized specimen is rate of growth. IOW, there is no upper limit on size -- a conifer, dwarf or not, only stops growing when it's dead. If the tree lives long enough it could at some point exceed even the 8-10'. However like most dwarf Chamae's, this one grows quite slowly, so it will likely be several decades before it exceeds your height expectations.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

no.. you should ask in the CONIFER FORUM .. crimminey.. lol

mine is going on 15 feet tall in 10 years

when momma can get 100 feet tall.. a dwarf of her might be a minor 50 feet tall .. gal is right.. its all about the annual growth rate ...

and in the conifer world.. ALL size estimates are at 10 years.. so divide any number by 10.. and you are in the realm of its annual growth rate.. and in 20 years.. it will be twice as big ...

so from your one estimate.. 10 feet in ten years.. wait for it.. is AT LEAST one foot per year.. and i am suggestions 1.5 ..

the 3 foot estimate is just plain wrong ...

do you really need a pic.. sounds too big for your spot ...

there are a lot of Cham obtusa which would fit that spot.. and if you ask in the conifer forum.. you will get pix and opinions ...

ken

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sigh. Nuthin's ever easy.

And I stand corrected, Ken, lol.

I just don't understand why these descriptions are not more accurate - dare I say "truthful"? Fifteen feet is a heck of a lot taller than three feet!

I suppose I should be brave and go ask for suggestions over on the CONIFER forum, lol. Thank you both for your input. Much appreciated!

Dee

12 years ago

I just don't understand why these descriptions are not more accurate

==>>>>

oh jezzz

this from a woman who posted a conifer question in the perennial forum and wondered if the shrub forum would be better ... rotflmbo ...

the info is wrong because the web designer did NOT care what it said... and the site owner didnt proof it.. or know any better themselves ...

you dont have to go over there.. i gave you the answer ... but if you do.. ask for similar things that would fit the space.. such as the chamacyparis obtusa i told you about ... they like to post pix over there ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: in case you dont know

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Plant tag size information - heck, even published plant encylopedias and online sources - will all be approximate. And may very well be governed by a predetermined so-called landscape life of 10 or 20 years rather than the actual maturity/life expectancy of the plant in question.

How big and how fast a plant will grow will be heavily determined by specific location, growing conditions and after-planting care.

Here is a link that might be useful: the myth of plant tags

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, but in my book 3 feet tall for a plant that may be 15 feet tall after ten years is not even approximate, lol! Obviously, it may not be possible to pinpoint an exact size of a plant due to several circumstances, but they sure could be a lot more accurate in their info. (or geez, at least get together and all print the same wrong info, lol!)

Gardengal, that article was dead on! Since the first day I stuck a trowel in the ground, I have been frustrated by the variations on tags/descriptions. Again, it's not that I believe them and expect those exact results (never have from day one), it's the fact that you can read three (or thirty) different tags and get three (or thirty!) different descriptions. Oy!

And people wonder why I'm afraid to plant shrubs or trees ...or conifers. I don't want to plant the wrong thing in the wrong place.

"... this from a woman who posted a conifer question in the perennial forum and wondered if the shrub forum would be better ... rotflmbo ... "

Hmmm, maybe I should get a job writing plant-tag descriptions....

:)
    Dee

12 years ago

mine below.. verified by the name gurus in the conifer forum ...

planted 9.2001.. maybe 1.5 feet tall at the time ...

the DAS [the green one on either side] .. are bout 6 foot for reference. ...

i dont know what to tell you about your book

ken

{{gwi:206125}}

would have been a heck of a pic.. had i not cut the tip off.. lol ...