Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help deciding on an Ajuga for a ground cover!

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 12:45

I looked on groundcovers, but it seems like that is not a very active forum.

I am looking for a groundcover for a morning sun area. I've settled on Ajuga: but which one?

I saw Ajuga Mahogany at a botanic garden.

(I have Ajuga Chocolate Chip in another garden, and have not been that impressed with it. It has not filled in at all. It also has narrow leaves, which I do not like much. )

But the A. Mahogany was short (~ 3") and very full, with rounded textured leaves, which I liked. It is also a brownish purple that would go GREAT with the heucheras I have. The flowers are secondary: it's the color and shape of the foliage that matters most. That garden is all about contrasting foliage colors, with gold, burgundy, and purple, so the darker the ajuga is, the better.

I will need a lot, so am looking for a place that sells it in quantities of a dozen or more. I have not been able to find Ajuga Mahogany in bulk.

A bareroot field grown nursery I've used before offers only 1 ajuga, which is "atropurpurea". I am having a hard time finding photos of this to compare. I did find Ajuga Black Scallop in bulk. It looks like I will be able to save a lot of money if I go with A. atropurpurea, but don't want to be disappointed if the color is more green than purple/brown, or if it has skinny leaves, as Chocolate Chip does.

If anyone grows any of these and can compare and make suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help deciding on an Ajuga for a ground cover!

You might check classygroundcovers.com and see if they carry it. They have all sorts of ground covers at very affordable prices and they do sell in bulk.

o
RE: Need help deciding on an Ajuga for a ground cover!

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 9:10

At least for our climate, you're deciding once and for all. Ajuga will spread into your lawn and be virtually impossible to eradicate in a couple years, but that makes it a good ground cover too (lol).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here