Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Hardscape question

mxk3 z5b_MI
11 years ago

Well, the time has finally come where I need to spend the bucks on my patio -- if any of you guys recall from pics I've posted, I have a sunken patio (walk out lower level) which is done in wood. It is looking B-A-D this year, it's going to cave in any time now.

So, my question is - who do I call to have the patio re-done? Do I call a paver brick company or a landscape company? I want stone or boulders or brick to shore up the walls so not sure the type of company I should call.

Comments (9)

• User
    11 years ago

ask your friends and get a word-of-mouth intro - always the best solution because there are a lot of cowboys in the hardscaping biz.
    Or, have a wander round the neighbourhood and see what other people have - then get details of workers.
    Don't just open yellow pages or whatever - take the time to do your research.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

My first thought would be to call a mason. They are professionals and should know about pitch for drainage, shoring things up, etc. If you do call a landscaping company, ask LOTS of questions about the guy who will be doing the patio.

Dee

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmm, never thought of a mason...

I will use Angie's List to find a reputable company, have had great luck using AL when I can't find anyone via word-of-mouth.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

if you want a plain old wall.. talk to a mason ...

if you want a integrated GARDEN wall.. call a landscaper ...

get 3 ideas and estimates ...

i dont recall if it was you.. but dont you know goldner walsh ... or whatever the hoity toity place is.. lol ... or was that the guy from the tour ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: i am sure you can come up with a better search term ....

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Masons do a heck of a lot more than "plain old walls".

If I was going to lay out the money it takes to do something like this, I'd want a mason.

If I did go to a landscaper, I'd darn sure make certain the person doing the stonework had years of masonry experience and that the company was reputable. Too many guys out there hanging out shingles and calling themselves "landscapers", IMO.

I second the opinion to get several estimates. And ask for references for each person/company.

Good luck!
    Dee

• freki
    10 years ago

If it's "structural" (like a wall or column), I'd personally go with someone in the trades rather than a landscaper. Landscapers are quite.. "variable" in their skills, some are excellent, but it's a crap-shoot. Look for people who are bonded & will provide references where you can go look at their previous work, whether you use a landscaper or a mason.

Things like retaining walls are a big investment, don't waste money having to do it twice

• casey1gw
    10 years ago

I found that landscaping companies will act as middlemen for masons and the price may be higher because they also have to have a cut. After all it'll be a mason who lays the stone not a landscaper. I used a mason to do 'tons' of stonework at my house- patios, walkways, walls, stairs and more. If you want it to integrate with the landscape use natural stone.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

"...After all it'll be a mason who lays the stone not a landscaper...."

I wouldn't rely on that assumption if I were using a landscaper. Obviously, it depends on the company you hire and any reputable landscaping company should indeed have a mason doing the work, but again, I wouldn't just assume that.

• User
    10 years ago

we worked as landscapers for 10 years but my partner was a time-served builder so yes, I agree, there are many 'landscapers who are either fencers, designers, slab-layers or pergola and arch installers, even just basic garden maintenance - things such as paths are basically not that difficult, but diggerdee is absolutely right, structural things such as retaining walls, steps, (and, I would argue having seen the 5 dabs of mortar method too many times) patio or hard-standing areas require someone who really knows what they are about and will offer a 5 year guarantee.
    We would call these people bricklayers in the UK and many are subcontracted by reputable landscapers unless they have the skills to take this on.