Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pauma06

Beautifull Plumbago

pauma06
9 years ago

Hi, I live in a residential in Cali-Colombia, and on building exteriors have many plants, really beautiful plants. Like this Cape Plumbago (In the photo).

My mother and me would like know how we can do for sow a shot at home, ie know how it spreads.

Thank you.

Comments (6)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Some growers have reported that it reseeds, but I have never experienced that problem beyond 1-2 seedlings per year, if that. They spread by suckers that come up near the base of the parent plant. Sometimes branches that come in contact with the soil will also root. I usually propagate them by just taking one of the rooted suckers and sticking it in the ground where I wanted a new plant. They reestablish quite easily that way. You could try by seed if you prefer, but if the parent is a cultivar that has specific characteristics you desire, it must be propagated vegetatively.

These plants get very large; that bed in the photo is going to be overrun quickly. Drastic pruning can feel like a loosing battle on plants with mature root systems--top growth comes back strong and quickly. To keep mine in check, and under 50sq' in size, I resorted to digging up my plant by the roots and just letting the remaining roots resprout. These plants know how to fill a green waste bin in a hurry! But they are loved by marine blue butterflies here and are nice, but tough, plants that are always in bloom, so whenever my yard is large enough there usually is one planted.

• pauma06
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, I will try to follow your advices, I like a small plant for dangle in a hanging pot in the window, and my mother like one for put in the patio.

Than you and regards.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

convert your common name to latin ... by google..

then add the word PROPAGATION after it ... adn google again ...

and you should be able to get all kinds of options as to how to multiply this plant ...

ken

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I adore plumbago, but, alas, it is only an annual here in zone 7. I envy those of you who can grow it to larger sizes than we can.

• pauma06
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you to everybody for your messages and for your help.

I them you that around here in my residential have more plumbagos planted but are with white flowers and not very attractives for me, I prefer the sky blue flowers.

But her I will place photos of the all plumbagos for that you can look.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    Is a very common landscape plant in s. florida (U S) Comes in red white and at least 3 shades of blue .
    Can't imag ine how it would grow in Colombia !!lol Very rampant I have 3 patches over 10 feet in both directions with constant pruning. IT does stay in flower year around
    no pests and I love blue flowers!! lol
    Have never tried to propagate it as it's very common in nurseries here .. Pick an area where the is enough area to expand against a fence is good. gary

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz