Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meesha000

Help choosing plants -Nashville, sun, perennials

meesha000
9 years ago

Hi!

Newbie here. I have an area that needs to be planted. It is about 4' x 12' in full sun. It is adjacent to our patio so I need it to stay relatively low... I need to see over it if sitting in a chair. I would prefer perennials and low-maintenace, nothing that's going to spread like wildfire. I like the cottage type garden, relaxed not formal. Soil tends toward clay past about 8" depth but top layer has been amended in years past and should be in decent shape. I know that's a tall order.

Here's the main problem... There may or may not be a move in our future this year. I need aesthetically appealing just in case, but on a tight budget. In the event of having our house on the market, I need at least something flowering this year. However, in the event that we don't move, I don't mind waiting for the perennials.

My impulse was to go load up on seeds and just take my chances, but it is becoming clear to me that perennial gardens are much more carefully planned that this... lol.

So the question is: What plants would you suggest first of all? Which ones are better purchased as mature plants? Which ones can i fill in with seeds? And where do you suggest purchasing? (Reputable online retailers or local suggestions for anyone that may be in my area) Budget is less than $100 but i like $50 better if possible.

Obviously, I should have started earlier but didn't realize the need. We had a late spring so things are just beginning to sprout and the temps are staying above freezing.

THANKS in advance!!!
Meesha

Comments (2)