Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joybee_gw

Coral Bells

JoyBee
11 years ago

Can anyone recommend varieties of Coral Bells that do well in full sun? The varieties I have seen at my garden center seem to be shade-loving. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    11 years ago

There are several Heucherellas that like more sun. You should check on those, as well. Good luck!

• mistascott
    11 years ago

I have heard that the darker-leafed varieties can take the most sun and the light lime-green ones like the most shade. Nothing concrete here, just anecdotal evidence. Take it for what it is worth. I wouldn't say they are shade-loving either. They seem to like sun, but only in the AM. Afternoon sun is to much for them -- at least it is in the summer in the South and so is the dry soil that often goes along with this.

I don't think there is one that can take all day summer sun in the American South (if that is where you are), but maybe some can take full sun in northern areas.

• kimka
    11 years ago

I've had much better luck with coral bells in nearly full sun than in shade.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Admittedly the summer sun here in the PNW is not as intense as elsewhere but all except the palest of the heucheras thrive in full sun here provided they are planted in a good, rich, moisture retentive soil. And by palest, I mean those with the bright yellow or chartreuse leaves or mostly so. All the shades of peach, copper, orange, reds/purples, blacks and various elements of green do very well in full sun. Here :-)

I think these carry the same sort of stigma as hellebores in that they are considered to be shade lovers when in fact they just tend to be shade tolerant.

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

'Southern Comfort' comes to mind.

• mistascott
    10 years ago

Yeah, I think it is dryness more than sun here the more I think about it. They are not happy baking in summer sun with no moisture -- at least around here.

• mistascott
    10 years ago

Yeah, I think it is dryness more than sun here the more I think about it. They are not happy baking in summer sun with no moisture -- at least around here.

• JoyBee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all, for your replies!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I had to have a tree taken down and my Lime Ricky and Citronelle which had been in bright shade got sun from sun-up until about 2 PM. Even this far north and with enough moisture they weren't happy and will be moved this spring. I have some marbled green, pink flowered Heuchera in similar exposure, and they have been perfectly happy in that situation, so my experience agrees with several others.

• onederw
    10 years ago

JoyBee, you don't indicate what climate zone you're in, and it could make all the difference. If you are in a warmer zone, say zone 9 or 10, then it would be my guess that your local garden center is right in putting heucheras into the shade. Here in southern California, morning sun/afternoon shade is about as far as we can push the envelope, and dappled sun is even better.

Kay

• JoyBee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry about that -- I'm in Philadelphia -- zone 6