Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasgrl2324

HELP! Newbie gardener

texasgrl2324
11 years ago

Hi! I'm new to gardening. I planted peony bulbs in early spring (I know, I know) and one of them just shot up a beautiful little red shoot. I was looking at the other spots where i planted and one has about 6 teeny tiny pale pink shoots coming up. My concern is that they are kind of laying in the soil. They have barely peeked through. Is this normal? The other shoot is so thick, red & it's straight as can be. Just wondering if those other little teeny shoots are normal or I'd something happened to them.
Also what should I expect from this season? I didn't expect them to grow at all since I planted them in the spring instead of the fall.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• texasgrl2324
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New shoot thick & red

• Donna
    11 years ago

Congratulations. You have accomplished something that very few deep south gardeners can do. You have a peony growing in your yard! Since it is a new plant, I wouldn't expect blooms this year, though you never know. I would definitely advise you to mulch it and then leave it alone. Peonies prefer to stay in one spot and settle in. It may take 3 or 4 years for it to bloom.

Hopefully you can give it steady moisture and afternoon shade. That will help your chances.

• BlueBirdPeony
    11 years ago

Hi! Certainly no expert, but I am happy for your success!! I love our peonies! Mine look like this right now. Not much different from yours, so I think that's great!

• texasgrl2324
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What about these (where arrows are pointing)? Is that new growth? Im concerned about them because they are so small and kinda laying flat compared to my other thick red shoot.

Thanks! I was so excited when I saw the little red shoot. I figured no flowering but I will be patient. The blooms that will happen in the future are worth it!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey...

peony dont have bulbs ... but jeez.. i cant think of a term.. other than a 'division' ...

peony MUST be planted.. AT THE SURFACE ...

and if you planted them at any depth ... you fill find.. in a month or two [its much to early for any real observation .. other than yours are alive] .... you might find that they look squat ... and that MIGHT be.. because half the leaf stalk.. is underground ...

by august.. or in the fall.. shoot us a pic.. and we can help you decide such.. or just do a little archeology.. and dust out the soil.. and find out.. how much of the plant stems are underground ... and if much.. we might want to 'lift it' in fall.. never in summer ...

BTW.... it might be 3 to 5 years.. before it grows enough of a root mass to support its giant flowers .... and IMHO.. fertilizer is not going to speed up sexual maturity ... which is all a flower is ... do NOT think of them as annuals.. that can do everything.. in one year ... peony can live generations .. and 3 years to a flower.. is nothing.. TO THEM ...

spring has sprung.. enjoy.. but dont worry too much ... be inquisitive.. just dont get wound up ..

ken

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

Your sprouts look fine. As they grow they'll head in the right direction.

Martha

• texasgrl2324
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok thanks guys. As you can tell I'm extremely new at gardening. I appreciate it :)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    11 years ago

Peonies
    The bare root division should be planted in a hole sufficiently deep that the highest crown bud is about 5 cm (two inches) below the surface.

Planting too deeply will frequently prevent the plant from flowering. A too shallow planting puts the buds at risk of mechanical or winter damage.

• texasgrl2324
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I think what happened is that the 1 inch if soil that was covering the eyes has blown away. We've had some really windy days. When i touch the little eyes it feels like it's the whole root (if that makes sense) so should I recover those (pic above) or just leave it ? There is no danger of frost here.

Zone8

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus