Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
santamiller

Coneflowers in South Central Texas

santamiller
9 years ago

I was curious what kind of luck people in zones south of 7 have had with coneflowers? I planted two last year just to see how they would do, one which I have forgotten the name and did not come back this spring and a second, Big Sky, which has come back and looks wonderful. It has at least ten buds on it, the first ones very close to opening. I found a good deal on one gallon containers today so decided to try the Pow Wow Wild Berry, which seems to have good reviews. Also the Cheyenne Spirit, which I can't seem to find much info on.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• brit5467
    9 years ago

I'm in the same zone but am on the East coast on the beach so it's very humid here. I don't know if you have humdity and don't know if it matters. We rarely get snow, either. Just FYI...

But I bought some last year from Burpee, called Warm Summer. My first experience with coneflowers.

To me, they looked identical to Cheyenne Spirit. I felt they did well enough that I bought another 4 pk this year. They arrived very lush and pretty big.

They did bloom last year but not very profusely because it was a bit later in the season when I planted them, I think. They survived and came back this year. Here's what they looked like about a week ago.

{{gwi:207112}}

The one on the right looks like its dying. I just moved them about three weeks ago from another part of the garden. So don't know if I hurt it since it was not real established. The rootball fell apart. Also, they are getting drowned by all the rain. That might be it. But before I moved it, it looked fine.

Here is another one of the 4 that I'd planted and then dug up late fall and put into a 6" pot and never got around to replanting. I never protected it with mulch or leaved. It just sat out all winter. It survived just fine and looks healthy. I just took this pic tonight:

{{gwi:207113}}

I don't know if this helps or not. Basically, I''m saying that I'm pleased with the Warm Summer and aside from some pics of the Cheyenne Spirit showing a cream-colored one (these don't), they look identical to me. But what do I know?? I'm no expert...lol.

bonnie

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bonnieâ¦..thanks for your reply. I'm actually in zone 8b, so a little warmer than you but plenty of humidity here in San Antonio. We've actually already hit an official high of 99 here once last week!

• brit5467
    9 years ago

Santamiller...I 'was' wrong about your zone. Sorry. I missread the beginning of your post and just saw the number 7 (remember to put on reading glasses !! LOL)

WOW! 99* already? We get there too but definitely not yet. I will say tho, altho I use the zone that the map says, we are on a little peninsula right on the Chesapeake Bay and so very often do not have the same weather as people even just 20 miles away.

It's like we're in a little microclimate all our own. That's why I have my zone listed a bit higher than it's supposed to be. I've yet to find a map that I could zoom in on and still see details. I'm right on the edge, between the two, I believe. Plus, someone I met on here who lives nearby uses zone 8a so I just use both...lol.

bonnir

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We're back to low 80s this week but by mid June low 90s plus will be the rule. Love those Texas summersâ¦..NOT!

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

I suspect that Echinacea species adapted to that part of Texas will do better than the hybrids, but the latter are worth trying (especially if you can grow them inexpensively from seed (i.e. Pow Wow Wild Berry and Cheyenne Spirit).

Here's one Texas native coneflower (doesn't seem too drought-adapted though).

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yeah, the hybrids contain E paradoxa, I have no idea how heat tolerant it is...though I do know it's very range restricted.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I grow native Echenacea augustifolia because it is indigenous to the Central texas area if the deer do not find it. . E. purpurea is East of here and needs a more friendly dirt, maybe a clay based humus.. I Have had luck with Hula dancer and some of the white ones. E tenniseensis did well in my yard. I have tried E paradox. It comes up year after year but it does not bloom. I have a very xeric yard. I do not water. I am in the high limestone hills west of Austin.

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's some good info. Thanks very much!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I did water to establish. I see many of the E augustifolias coming up now and we have had NO rain . You guys in SA have had more rain this spring than us.I watch the green blobs on the radar with envy.

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We've had more rain that you? Holy crap. You're in serious trouble! :) It's just pitiful here. Where exactly are you? We have a place in East Texas and they've had a ton of rain over the winter and spring. Sure wish we'd get some of it.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I am in the Hamilton Pool area north of Dripping Springs by 10 miles. We have had about 1.5" since The beginning of the year. We had healthy rains in November and then nada.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting