Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea 'Lemon Daddy' - rants/raves?

Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 13:58

I *know* the flower buds are not hardy in my zone, but I don't really care about that, I want the bush for the lush yellow/chartreuse foliage to brighten up a particular spot. Will be in part-shade.

Any rants/raves you want to share regarding the Lemon Daddy (besides lack of flowering rant...). What I'm looking for is overall, how does it perform foliage-wise, and is winter die-back in terms of foliage going to be a big problem or any other input you feel is relevant.

Note: Also posted in Hydrangeas forum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea 'Lemon Daddy' - rants/raves?

Rather than 'Lemon Daddy', I would look for Hydrangea quercifolia 'Little Honey', a golden leaved oakleaf hydrangea. I think the foliage effect is far nicer than that of a bigleaf hydrangea, it is a hardier plant and much more likely to bloom for you without winter protection, it is far more sun tolerant (Big Daddy scorches like mad in any sun), the foliage gets gorgeous fall color AND....the plant retains some foliage during winter, only shedding it as new growth emerges in spring. So it therefore looks more like a real plant in December than a collection of dead sticks. Such a deal!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Honey hydrangea (no source endorsement!)

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 18:19

Good rec - but I already have a pretty large swath of oakleafs in that bed ("Alice" or "Snow Queen", don't remember which), so that would be just too much oakleaf.

o

Highly recommend Hydrangea little honey!

o

Look at Leucosceptrum japonicum 'Gold Angel' as another alternative if you decide not to go with Lemon Daddy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here