Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jameya

help please!!!

jameya
10 years ago

Okay, last fall I planted peony roots from an established plant, as well as 2 plants from a nursery on the south facing side of my garage. Nothing seemed to be planted there. I tilled up the area and planted them. This spring I thought they were coming up, and come to find out now daffodills in clumps are coming up in the exact same spots where I planted my peonies. Its odd that these daffodills seem to come out of no where and somehow made it throught being tilled into the same spots. Will this effect my peonies?? I am worried that my peonies are so young that this fall if I try to get these daffs out, it will mess up the roots of the peonies that are trying to get established. Any advice on what I should do?? I am new to growing flowers as I just bought my first home and am starting from scratch to try and get enough plants started and going so in a few years I will have pretty plants in my yard.

Comments (9)

• jameya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another group of them

• jameya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is another. Every since one of the peonies I planted have all these clumps of what you all figured out and told me they are daffodills. I'm just worried they are going to choke out the peonies. I know I must learn patience, and I am trying. Lol but I don't have any plants in my yard besides this, so I was hoping that since it takes a while for these to get going that I might have at least some foilage that resembles a plant in my yard this summer. And these daffs were not here last spring at all either. For some reason when I tilled and planted the peonies, these dafs just popped up out of no where.
    Thanks for any advice and thoughts you could give me. I check for these beloved peonies to sprout up everyday and to see this and not know what I'm doing to being with worries me. Lol so please bare with me

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it. The daffs were probably a good 8 inches deep and that's why you didn't find them when you planted the peony. With the time the peony will probably grow and overtake the daffs when its foliage starts shading the daff foliage. Or who knows, they might just co-exist happily together for years to come. In a war between a daff and a peony, the peony is going to win.

If you're really paranoid about this and don't want the daffs, just snip off the foliage. If the daffs don't have foliage, they can't produce food for next year to replenish the bulbs and will gradually peter out.

I have tons of Tulip tarda which has self-sown all over my garden even right smack in the middle of other perennials. The tulips bloom early, then the foliage disappears and the perennials grow right over them. Both seem happy.

Kevin

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Congratulations on the purchase of your first home.

You got good advice from Kevin above. I have spring bulbs growing in several of my garden beds right along with many later-season perennials and they've been happily co-existing for as long as I've lived here.

There is a song, 'To every thing there is a season..." Generally Mother Nature knows what she's doing so I just do my thing to the best of my knowledge & experience then let her take it from there.

There are thousands of spring bulbs that come up in my lawn every year--crocus, grape hyacinth, puschkinia--and, once the weather warms and the grass starts growing, my neighbor mows the lawn. The bulbs come back up year after year despite having their foliage whacked off.

I'm just worried they are going to choke out the peonies.

It isn't likely the daffodils will choke out your peonies since chances are they'll be going dormant about the time the peonies begin actively growing. There are even some instances where other perennials are purposely planted on top of others: spring ephemerals (i.e., Virginia bluebells) go dormant and disappear after blooming which can leave an empty space in your garden design. Planting something else in the same spot that will come up and bloom later is sometimes a solution in those situations.

• jameya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh THANK YOU both so much for the advice. I love peonies and know from reading on here about them it seems they take a good few years to really establish anything anyway and at first, I thought they were the peonies coming up. Lol.. someone said that is looks like the dafs need to be thinned out in the fall something I think about them being clumped so much together...I'm worried if I go messing with things and digging around I would hurt the peony roots trying to grow. I don't mind them being there if they don't bother my beloved peonies. I was shocked because nothing was growing there at all, but then yet after I tilled, and then planted the peonies, it seems like these suckers just popped up in there bunches in the SAME exact spot as where I planted.
    I am so in awe of everyones beautiful pictures on here of beautiful layed flower gardens and I'm hoping in a couple years I can have something going with different plants, and have them all blend together, so when I seen that I panicked.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

If you love peonies, you should look at the offerings from www.songsparrow.com. A very fine nursery.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

All but a handful of the peonies growing in my garden beds have been thriving here for upwards of 40 years with zero help from me. I used to heat my house with wood & an ancient woodstove but no longer do. I'd spread wood ashes around the peonies to help neutralize the soil (my soil is acid). Didn't make a lick of difference--they grew and bloomed the same with/without my help.

While peonies are lovely and fragrant, they bloom for a very short time. It's a good idea to explore the wide choices of other perennials readily available to enhance your garden experience and extend the bloom period of your garden beds once the peonies are finished for the year.

My brother planted a variety of daffodils & narcissus here & there around my little green acre 30+ years ago. I've never disturbed them or divided the clumps. Daffodils and other spring-blooming bulbs will naturalize but if they make you smile, there's no hard and fast rule that you absolutely must divide them. They play well in the sandbox along side other perennials.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the easy way ... would be to use the very expensive applicator at the link ... fill with full strength round up or generic ... and drip it down the D leaf blades ... and just kill the bulbs ... and then return the unused RU to the properly labeled container ...

they are cheap ... and why disturb the peony???

i do this with things growing in the middle of hosta clumps.. all the time ...

no where is it written.. that RU must be sprayed ... and that is where all the problems begin ...

and no ... i would not be concerned about it being stored in a rotting bulb and somehow being transported by dementors to the peony ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gardenper
    10 years ago

If you don't want to thin out by digging up the daffodils, then you could thin about by the methods mentioned above. So in this case, don't cut or trim every daffodil but go ahead and thin it enough to where you are satisfied with how it does look. Even if grows like that again next year (until the daff bulb dies off), just trim it again for the growing season.

I don't have as many daff plants as you do, so everyone is precious and I'll try not to kill them off. But when you have many like you do, then it's easier to just whack whack whack at the leaves to cause the eventual ruin of the bulb below.

But another option is to wait until the daffodil flowers. If you end up liking the flower then it might be worth it to carefully dig it up in the fall and spread it out to other areas.