Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Is Larkspur an Invasive Plant

mary_max
9 years ago

I see it growing in every flower bed. Everywhere! Is this stuff invasive?

Comments (12)

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

It seems to hold it's own through reseeding here, at least in the right conditions, but here it's no invader.

Try Chionodoxa luciliae for a sneaky little invader that has no respect for any neighbours' property.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

what i call larkspur.. is an annual ... and i dont think annuals can be invasive ... on some level ...

its a decent reseeder ... but just enough in my garden.. for me not to complain ... but i mulch heavy ...

so i am wondering.. what you call larkspur????

ken

• mary_max
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Ken the annual. I cleared out the beds last fall of most perennials except for day lilies and now the empty beds are all full of this green new growth and yes it is the annual larkspur. Guess I will have to tear it out or it will take over. Right? Also what about fever few?

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Feverfew is also a big self seeder but I wouldn't call it invasive. Both are easy to pull out or hoe out of the areas where I don't want them growing. I also mulch well except the areas that I want plants to self seed.

I think of invasive as outcompeting native plants and taking over the area so natives can no longer grow. Many plants can self seed enough to be a problem in a garden but don't pose a problem in the larger environment.

9 years ago

if it were me... i would spray all the seedlings with RUp and cover with 2 or 3 inches of mulch ..

a lot of the reseeders.. need the seed to be on top of the soil and a mulch cover will dissuade germination ... and that is why i have so little germination.. as much of the seed.. never hits soil ...

i was trying to point out to you.. that you posted this in the perennial forum.. and that was what confused me ... no need to repost over there ...

ken

• mary_max
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Ken! That's good news. All day I was asking myself if I have to weed all these new sprouts out of the various beds before I put the compost on. Glad for the information! I removed all perennials except day lilies last fall and want to go with more shrubs and evergreens. But the perennials are coming back and if I don't get on it I will have the same mess I tore out last fall. Thanks Ken and everyone else for your continued help!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Most people who are using compost are practicing organic methods. Applying roundup before a layer of compost just doesn't seem to go together. I would think adding a thick enough layer of compost on small seedlings will smother them without using round up. And if a few break through, it's a minor amount of work to weed them out.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

What's wrong with simply hoeing them out? Seedlings don't take a whole lot of effort to dislodge. Expose their roots to the sun and air and they're dead. Seems like a lot less work than spraying.

Kevin

9 years ago

let me know if you want a primer on how to properly use RU ... perhaps a new post ...

i have no vested interest in that or any other method listed...

ken

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

I agree with Ken ---- I grew totally organically for years before I just got tired of all the extra work. It is MY garden after all. I use a generic RU very sparingly but I wouldn't be without it.

• remy_gw
    9 years ago

There is no need to use RoundUp for larkspur seedlings. They come out/break apart easily,
    I do understand the possible need for deep rooted things that won't die to be killed by chemical measures such as RoundUp, but small shallow rooted seedlings do not need it.
    Remy

• gardenper
    9 years ago

Yes I think larkspur seedlings are very distinct and so you can take them out even when they are small (without waiting for it to really dinstinguish itself from something else you might want).

As for how invasive it is, I tend to like the flowers that reseed, so I'm not yet at the point of feeling like it is invasive. Less buying or planting work for me next year!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz