Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Ajuga Mahogany, Black Scallop, Bronze Beauty? Flower and leaf col

I am trying to decide between these 3. I have a fairly large area to cover. I had my heart set on Mahogany after seeing it at the Missouri Botanic Garden last fall (not in bloom). It was exactly the foliage color I have been looking for, a dark shiny purple / bronze, that would go beautifully with the dark leaved leaved heucheras (Obsidian and Palace Purple) and the gold leaved foliage plants there. I have not seen the others in person.

I can find Black Scallop and Bronze Beauty locally. But Mahogany requires a much longer drive.

The color of the flowers may help me to decide if this is worth the drive. If one of them has lavender or purplish flowers, it is off the list. My house has Williamsburg Blue painted trim, and I know from experience that light purples and lavenders clash with it.

Descriptions of the flower colors found online vary from sky blue, to blue, to violet. I am sure you are familiar with how many flower colors that are described as "blue" are really some shade of purple. :(

So, if any one can describe the flower color and the foliage color of any of these, I would really appreciate it. I would also like to know if the foliage color is an all season color, or just a spring or fall color. Thank for your help. The area gets midday sun.

Comments (11)